Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn Relays and DJ

John Lucas is an Olympic historian at Penn State, and a friend who has been my roommate at several Olympics. He is a former T&F coach in HS and at Penn State and actually ran in the 52 Trials in the 10K. He recently penned his autobiography and I was able to see him this weekend at a meeting and he gave me a copy. I quote about the Penn Relays from his autobiographical introduction:

"It is a nearly perfectly organized event, with 200 volunteer judges and referees and half-a-dozen paid starters. The number of spectators over the decades from teh 19th century to the 21st is over 3 million, with nearly a half-million performers. The event has been precious to me since I participated as "middle leg" on the 1950 Boston Univ. distance medley relay. Four years later, I took my Huntington Prep School there and won the 2-mile relay in 1954. As assistant coach at the U Maryland, I was at the relays from 1958-61, and then as track & field coach at Penn State from 1962-68, I did not miss a Relay. From then until 2006, I was an official, helping the Penn Relays in their tradition, in what I call the world's greatest track meet - 10 times bigger than the T&F competitions at the Olympics."

High praise for the meet and indirectly, its director, our intrepid DJ.

Doesn't Mt. SAC claim to be bigger than Penn?

Comment

Should be over 300 officials but who is counting. :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        Doesn't Mt. SAC claim to be bigger than Penn?
        On what basis?

Comment

Working...
        X