Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Parry O'Brien Vs. Dallas Long circa 1964.

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parry O'Brien Vs. Dallas Long circa 1964.

This story may be apocryphal but I want to see if anyone else out there remembers it. In the early 60's Dallas Long was steadily pushing Parry O'Brien off his long held world leader position in the shot put. There was a meet in southern California ( I think in the Pomona area) around 1964 where Dallas Long was competing and Parry O' Brien was in the stands. As the story goes, O'Brien got his adrenalin going and came out of the stands to challenge Long. He ended up throwing a PR of 64-6. But it was to no avail as Long uncorked a 65-10 confirming that he was for real and that O'brien's reign really had come to an end.

O'Brien's reign came to an end in 1960, when Neider clearly had passed him, winning the OG, plus uncorking into new ground with WR's of 65-7 and then 65-10.

Comment

Do I remember correctly that Long sustained a fairly serious injury at USC while trying to open a soda can with a javelin?

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
        O'Brien's reign came to an end in 1960, when Neider clearly had passed him, winning the OG, plus uncorking into new ground with WR's of 65-7 and then 65-10.
        Yes, you remember it well! Spring of '60. Long and Nieder alternating setting WR's.
        But O'Brien hung in there and got the silver at Rome.

Comment

Working...
        X