Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Granville Interview - HSR 800 1:46.45 in '96

Interesting upbeat perspective from an athlete who peaked in high school: Flotrack Interview with Michael Granville

Not just Granville,but all the great high school half milers seem to peak in high school.George kersh who had the record and ran 1:46 in high school wound up running a 1:44 but never made the Olympic team.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
      Not just Granville,but all the great high school half milers seem to peak in high school.George kersh who had the record and ran 1:46 in high school wound up running a 1:44 but never made the Olympic team.
      That's correct, Kersh ran 1:44.00 to place 4th (!) at the 1992 Olympic Trials. A guy from my high school (Mike Raemisch) roomed with him at the meet. I've seen the race once on tape, about 10 years ago, and if I remember correctly, Kersh was nipped at the tape by Tony Parilla.

Granville may not have improved upon his HS best at UCLA, but he was a member of two NCAA Champion relay squads for the Bruins. A video of the 1999 NCAA 4x400 can be found by searching for "1999 NCAA 4x400" on a popular internet video website.

Comment

Thanks for the link. The interviewer was trying so hard not just to say, 'so WTF happened after HS?' but Granville was very cool and honest about the whole thing. Good interview.

Comment

Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
          Running 1.46,58 at Golden West (I was there) and not making the Olympic team have nothing in common. Kersh simply failed to run through the line at the 1992 OT. THAT is what caused him not to make the Barcelona team, not a lack of improvement; he ran under 1.45 for three-consecutive years from 1990-1992.

Walt Murphy, back in 2001, stated that John Marshall, who set an indoor prep record of 1.50,7 in 1981, went on to make the U.S. Olympic team in 1984 while still at Villanova.

Comment

Granville HSR (not greatest quality):
            http://www.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS/TRA ... 0_b_h4.wmv

Kersh HSR:
            http://www.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS/TRA ... i_800b.avi

Comment

Interviewer did a great job. He was sensitive, yet he zeroed in on the questions we all wanted answers to.

Michael seems to be a very nice guy and maybe even well adjusted.
              "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Working...
              X