Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lk

m

Ewell seems like one of the least appreciated guys in track history. He had a long world-class career but at a horrible time - the 12 years between the Berlin and London Olympics were his primetime.

Comment

we have discussed Barney at length in other threads. Probably the greatest sprint talent of the 40s and certainly possessing the greatest sprint longevity of any sprinter in the modern age. He served in the US Army during WW2 so his longevity is even more remarkable. A great American. As the picture suggests he was one put-together dude.
      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Hal Davis fans may want to contest the "greatest talent of the '40s" tag.

Comment

A Fe

H

Comment

Regarding dashing in the 40s, Mel Patton has a short memoir. It is not in print for sale but it is floating around the ether on line. If I can find the link Ill pass along. Id like to know if Davis served in WW2, if not then the case for Ewell's preeminence grows by an order of magnitude.
            ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Comment

The Patton interview is at the LA Olympics library.

Comment

Comment

I did not know that Hal was in the USMC, that gives him a boost in my standings. It is amazing how little information there is on Davis, he is the invisible man of 20th cenury sprinting.

Back to Barney, he came back from service and continued at the elite level medaling in the 100 200 and 4x1 at 31 years of age in '48. That is otherworldly, remember we are talking here about 1948 not 1992. I recognize Hal as a mega elite talent but on the whole Barney has the more impressive career.

Comment

Working...
                    X