No announcement yet.

Happy Birthday to the Following Star...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Birthday to the Following Star...

There's still a few minutes left in Hawaii before the USA officially turns the page on the date -- just enough time to congratulate the following athlete on his/her birthday.

S/he, a previous Olympian of distinction, ran their final SB in their primary event with the same mark another athlete in their event did in grade-11 before becoming a distinguished athlete of very strong merit. They'd be joined at the hip two years later, and, along the birthday theme, today's honouree would be in for the two biggest "surprises" of their life that season.

Who is this birthday person? Who was the grade-11 athlete, and where did s/he set that mark? Hint: They both share the same number of letters in their first names, given or nick-named.

Alas, on the sixth day of june, 1986, a high school athlete by the name of Steve Lewis, who had transferred from LA Banning to American (Fremont) High School, won his heat of the 400m at the California State prelims at Cerritos College. His time was 46,50 - a personal record. He won the final the following day in 46,59.

On the second day of july 2000, Harry "Butch" Reynolds ran his final race at 400m, placing fifth in Glasgow in the USA vs GB meet. His time? 46,50 seconds.

Lewis would also win the 1987 state meet as well and match PB's at GWI with Danny Everett, a future teammate of both his and today's honouree in the 400m (45,76).

Both Butch and Steve, two athletes with five letters in their first names (even Danny), would later be joined together in two of history's most fantastic races in 1988 - two years after Lewis ran that 46,50 in high school.

The first "surprise" for today's honouree was a 43,29 world record on the 17th day of august 1988. All three athletes were in that race. The second was a "surprise" finish to Lewis in the Olympic 400m one month later in Seoul, South Korea - a race where Lewis set the still-standing world junior record (43,87). Everett helped the USA sweep. Together, Reynolds, Lewis and Everett were three of four members who tied the world record at 4x400m (2.56,16) in that final.

Congratulations on a terrific career, Butch Reynolds, and happy 46th birthday.

Comment

All I know about June 9th is what happened in Sanger Calif. on that day in 1956.

Dave Sime of Duke tied the 100y WR, 9.3 and set a 220 WR with 20.0.

Comment

Slightly off topic:
        This 20.0 took me with some surprise, until I found a reference to this being
        a straight race. Does anyone know where to find WR developments for 220y
        straight? (And/or 200m straight.)
        http://www.athletix.org/Statistics/wr200men.htm, e.g., only has the bend races.

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
          Slightly off topic:
          This 20.0 took me with some surprise, until I found a reference to this being
          a straight race. Does anyone know where to find WR developments for 220y
          straight?
          I think probably Tommie Smith still holds the 220y straight record at 19.5. I've never heard of anyone beating that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
            All I know about June 9th is what happened in Sanger Calif. on that day in 1956.

Dave Sime of Duke tied the 100y WR, 9.3 and set a 220 WR with 20.0.
            Great! However, this was 6-june ;-)

Comment

Working...
            X