Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Houston McTear Trivia

When high schooler Houston McTear was credited with a world record tying 9.0 for 100 yards in 1975, what was the electronic time? Good Luck.

Re: Houston McTear Trivia

9.30. And I didn't look it up! And it didn't take me 2 hours.

By the way whose record did McTear tie and where did that fellow go to school?

Comment

>9.30. And I didn't look it up! And it didn't take me 2 hours.

By the way
      >whose record did McTear tie and where did that fellow go to school?

was that Ivory Crockett ? And if this right I too did not look it up... but as to where he went to school.... was it some Illinois deal, like Northern Ill. or Southern Ill. ?

Comment

9.30 is perfect. Very good. Just to show it's not only Americans who can't hand time, check out the next quiz.

Comment

That is right it was Ivory Crockett at Southern Illinois University in Carbondale.

At the time Crockett broke the record I was a student at SIU (I later transfered to Oregon) and was taking a PE class with Lew Hartzog the track coach. He was so bubbly when Ivory broke the record.

Comment

Is my memory that foggy? McTear ran his 9.0 in the prelims of the Florida Class 2A State meet. There was no auto timing that I can recall - and I was there (but missed McTear's race since I was with the kids I was coaching).
            The FHSAA record book lists no records in hundredths until the '80 State Meets, and then returns to hand timed tenths until '86. From then on it's auto. So where does the 9.30 auto time come from?

Comment

This is a mark T&FN has always viewed with a bit of suspicion, since the meet wasn't officially auto-timed. There was said to be an Accutrack being used for photo-finishes and that's what got the 9.30. But there were rumors that no photo was actually submitted at the AAU meeting and that it was ratified based just on the app itself.

Comment

For a great many years the Florida State meets were held at Showalter Field in Winter Park (just north of Orlando) which also became the site of the Golden South meet. I know that's where McTear's race was and they were still running there well into the '90s. I can't say for sure about auto-timing, but it seems odd that they would have an Accutrack for the '75 meet but not use it officially and not have F.A.T. timing for years afterwards (except, puzzlingly, in '80, which I assume was F.A.T. since the State records for that year are in hundredths).

Comment

One of the Texas mavens should be able to come up with real numbers, but I want to say the Texas state meet was contested for (decades?) with an auto-timer present but marks reported in hand. ????

Comment

I loved to see old Houston run when I was a kid. I remember reading an article on him once (SI?)that indicated they timed him in 7th or 8th grade at 9.9 for 100 yrds on a football field with jeans and tennis shoes on! God given natural ability.

Comment

That doesn't sound plausible? 12 or 13 running the equivalent of 11 seconds flat for the 100 meters...... Granted he was maybe the greatest young talent ever in this event. What was the story behind his failure to develop beyond young phenom?

Comment

Houston McTear trivia

McTear admitted that he was into coke from '78 through '84. He later moved to Europe, got married to an Olympian sprinter from Sweden and became a trainer in the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mineral City
                          When high schooler Houston McTear was credited with a world record tying 9.0 for 100 yards in 1975, what was the electronic time? Good Luck.
                          Corollary trivia - what is the fastest recorded 100y?
                          (which obviously Bolt has far exceeded, but those GP dudes have been negligent in timing him there).

Comment

9.21, Charlie Greene, NCAA at Provo, June 1967

Comment

I went to http://www.alltime-athletics.com/m_100yok.htm thinking that
                              9.21 was much too slow. I was proved wrong (my ``feel'' for a fast
                              100y time is probably too affected by the hand-times), but found the
                              interesting fact that McTear still has the fastest non-altitude FAT time.
                              (Later equalled by Christie.)

Comment

Working...
                              X