Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've told this story before.......oh well.

I was in Fresno at the West Coast Relays (back when it was a real meet) when....

PA announcer...this just in from the Florida high school championships, Baker highs Houston McTear has just ran a...9.2!...(I can't remember if he mentioned heats or semi)

Obviously that got that familiar.....wooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. ..from the crowd.

A little while later....

PA announcer....this just in from the Florida high school championships, Baker highs Houston McTear has just ran a.................................9 flat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A few years later I would get to see the Florida flash at those West Coast Relays. He was then at Cerritos JC. It was kinda weird in that he was just another JC guy, there was no mention of him as being....Houston McTear!!!!!!! I was wanting to ...."hey everyone that's Houston McTear down there"....I didn't. It wasn't until he brought his 4x2 team from way back to first that he got the attention he deserved. Yep once again he got another....WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! !....as he blew by one JCer after another on that anchor leg.

In my opinion, McTear and Bob Hayes were the two most "naturally" fast humans we've ever seen.

Hayes was a great all around athlete, not some track guy who was only there because of his speed. He just happened to be the world's fastest human.

If McTear had ended up at USC/UCLA/TCU etc, no telling what he might have accomplished. His story being the classic...."what could have been" (along with Obea Moore)

Comment

Working...
    X