Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• imaginative
    replied
    Ricky Bruch has admitted to and discussed his use of PEDs in public.
    I do not know, however, whether he was using when he set his WR.

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied
    Thanks for answering my questions...and the PED use assertaion on Rink's web site is provocative indeed.

I like to think that Jay Sylvester didn't use any PED's I knew him when he was coaching at BYU. But, you never know...

Does anyone else remember that Apple Valley , CA world record that didn't count? It seems that there was a big article on it in T&FN.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by gh
    those 4 could all have used steroids without running afoul of the rules.
    Yes, it is good to be reminded of that important fact. The ca. 1962 date is very interesting...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Jay Silvester (United States) 1961, 1968
    Al Oerter (United States) 1962, 1963, 1964
    Vladimir Trusenyev (Soviet Union) 1962
    Ludvík DanÄ›k (Czechoslovakia) 1964, 1965

those 4 could all have used steroids without running afoul of the rules. Oerter, as I recall, admitted to dabbling with the juice briefly when he began his old-age comeback in the late-'70s.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    His statement is (perhaps deliberately) ambiguous. It could be interpreted to mean either a) all subsequent world record performances were steroid-aided; or b) all subsequent WR holders used steroids at some point in their competitive careers (but not necessarily when they set their WR).

"A" would be slightly eye-opening for me; "B" far less so.

Either way, it's a bold statement.

Leave a comment:

• Figaro
    replied
    Originally posted by kuha
    Interesting Statement/Assertion on his Website:

"The last discus World's Record Holder not on steroids"
    Well, these are the people who've become discus World Record holders after him:

Jay Silvester (United States) 1961, 1968
    Al Oerter (United States) 1962, 1963, 1964
    Vladimir Trusenyev (Soviet Union) 1962
    Ludvík DanÄ›k (Czechoslovakia) 1964, 1965
    Ricky Bruch (Sweden) 1972
    John van Reenen (South Africa) 1975
    John Powell (United States) 1975
    Mac Wilkins (United States) 1976
    Wolfgang Schmidt (East Germany) 1978
    Yuriy Dumchev (Soviet Union) 1983
    Jürgen Schult (East Germany) 1986

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    edit: just googled him, and he has a homepage: http://www.rinkbabka.com
    Interesting Statement/Assertion on his Website:

"The last discus World's Record Holder not on steroids"

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Babka's 63.93m was achieved in Reno on 1968-august-3. Jay Silvester threw 68.40m to win. Interestingly, out of his 17 national championship and/or Olympic Trials competitions, Babka only won two (1958 USA Champs and 1960 OT).

1968 marked the third-consecutive season Babka had thrown past 63m, and his Reno mark was a 10cm improvement over his PB from two years earlier in Los Angeles.

edit: just googled him, and he has a homepage: http://www.rinkbabka.com

Leave a comment:

• Figaro
    replied
    Re: What was Rink Babka's PR in the discus?

Originally posted by lovetorun
    It seems that Rink Babka, although a top ranked discus thrower in the 50's, early 60's,never held the WR. I am trying to remember his PR...Something in the high 190's...I remember the Apple Valley, California fiasco when he threw about 198-10, (aided by the desert winds) but the mark was never recognized ...landing point was lower than throwing circle.
    Rink Babka did manage to set a World Record of 59.91m (196ft 6½in) in Walnut, California on August 12th 1960.
    This WR was set shortly before the 1960 Rome Olympics, wherein he was leading the first four rounds of the Olympic competition, before famously giving advice to Al Oerter who then set a Olympic record and overtook him to claim the gold, leaving Babka with the silver medal.
    Babka's personal best came in 1968, when at the age of 32 he threw 63.93m (209ft 9in).

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    started a topic What was Rink Babka's PR in the discus?

What was Rink Babka's PR in the discus?

It seems that Rink Babka, although a top ranked discus thrower in the 50's, early 60's,never held the WR. I am trying to remember his PR...Something in the high 190's...I remember the Apple Valley, California fiasco when he threw about 198-10, (aided by the desert winds) but the mark was never recognized ...landing point was lower than throwing circle.
Working...
X