Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How well would Pre do against Achilles?

Suppose Pre was born in ancient Greece. What kind of a 10k would he have run?

Would he have crashed his chariot after a wild toga party into a rock?

Would that rock then become famous and become known as Pre's Rock?

Suppose the Brits stole Pre's Rock from the Greeks a couple of hundred years ago and is now in the British Museum. Would Phil Knight have a right to demand it back?

Brit humour (note spelling), I suppose. I will have to reread my Iliad (translation by Richmond Lattimore) to see how good Achilles was as a chariot racer.
    Re stealing national treasures from "developing" countries. The Elgin Marbles will have to be returned eventually, as well many other "treasures" from West European countries and the USA, primarily to Asian countries. The initial looting may have served a purpose in ensuring that they were well looked after for many decades, but the tide has turned, and the age of Western imperialism has ebbed totally. To think otherwise is to behave like King Canute.

Comment

I have it on good authority that Pre's relationship to Nike would have been a bit different: he would have married her! And their offspring would have set WRs that would still be standing today. These are the facts of counterfactual history!

Comment

Originally posted by catson52
        Brit humour
        zackly :roll: :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
          I have it on good authority that Pre's relationship to Nike would have been a bit different: he would have married her! And their offspring would have set WRs that would still be standing today. These are the facts of counterfactual history!
          Pre and Nike together! Now there is an idea. We could have had WRs that are thousands of years old!

Of course, timing would have been a problem. I mean, how accurate can an hour glass be? Can it time to a tenth of a second?

Comment

Yeah, Nike's wings + Pre's VO2 Max really made those kids fleet. As for the timing, John Harrison's great-great-great-great grandfather, named Latitude, came up with a very accurate hourglass.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52
              To think otherwise is to behave like King Canute.
              To be fair to Canute, he would have been trying to prove he could not stop the tide.

Comment

Where would the Nike emblem go on the toga?LOL

Comment

Yeah, Nike's wings + Pre's VO2 Max really made those kids fleet. As for the timing, John Harrison's great-great-great-great grandfather, named Latitude, came up with a very accurate hourglass.
                  They would have used an egg timer. Pre would hold the WR with 9 turns, 182 grains.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                    Pre and Nike together! Now there is an idea. We could have had WRs that are thousands of years old!

Of course, timing would have been a problem. I mean, how accurate can an hour glass be? Can it time to a tenth of a second?

No, no, no, no! The hourglass was obsolete by that time. Instead, they had F.A.S. (Fully Automatic Sundial).

Comment

Originally posted by Brian

No, no, no, no! The hourglass was obsolete by that time. Instead, they had F.A.S. (Fully Automatic Sundial).
                      Yes, but what if it is cloudy. No, it has to be an hourglass.

Comment

Yes, but what if it is cloudy. No, it has to be an hourglass.[/quote]

Only as a backup device.

Comment

Working...
                        X