• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian
    replied
    Re: Presidential Cross Country

>I agree. I am guilty of this as well; perhaps my political support for the
    >president has led me to praise his running abilities a bit too highly.
    >

There is no reason why political views should intrude on a discussion of
    >his running ability.

Glad to hear you say this, since MY comments indicated nothing of ANY political view, just the real world of political image.

Photo-ops are contrived to create an image; during this period, the White House image priority was one of youth and leadership. Running a 5km. (faster than Jim Ryun!) would certainly fit into this goal nicely.
    Clinton did the same. So did Bush senior and Carter.
    The master, of course, was the former actor Reagan.

Politics aside, this is how it goes. The trick is to sort through the bullsh*t (exactly what it all is) before voting.

And for the record, many people who voted for the "compassionate conservative" last time around are now asking what happened to that guy they thought they were electing. (Same with Clinton on the backpedalling with gays in the military, health care, etc.--another political thread.)

Maybe that sub sevens' effort is quite symbolic. YOU decide...next November.

Leave a comment:

• No Name
    replied

I agree. I am guilty of this as well; perhaps my political support for the president has led me to praise his running abilities a bit too highly.

There is no reason why political views should intrude on a discussion of his running ability.

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied

I agree with you, my comments probably sounded more negative than intended. Yes, he is jammin' for a guy that's on the high side of his 50's.

I wish people on both political sides could make objective non-biased comments about athletic exploits of a President. Spoken by a wishy-washy fuzzy thinking middle of the roader, ot at least that's what my lefty and righty friends to each side call me.

Leave a comment:

• No Name
    replied

"As to his running, it has been consistently reported that he runs sub-7's which as someone said is quite admirable for a guy in his mid 50's but on a "talented runners" scale is no huge accomplishment."

Considering his age, I'd say its pretty good even on a talented runners scale.

A few years back, I saw Jim Ryun run in a road mile with a bunch of other former miling greats (Kip Keino and a number of others were in the race). Ryun was in his fifties at the time of the race, and I'd say Ryun ranks pretty highly on the "talented runners" scale.

However, it was all Ryun could do to run around 6:30, and that was just for one mile.

Bush never had the kind of training that Ryun did, but he can string together multiple sub-sevens even at his age. Plus, it's not like he has all day to train, since he has what most would consider a pretty tough job.

Give Bush credit; running sub-sevens at that age is a big accomplishment.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

I'll put you--and everyone--else out of your misery: They went to Swarthmore College.

Thanks DJ for putting me out of my misery. I forgot about Swarthmore.

Leave a comment:

• hjsteve
    replied

well, he may win, but it will not be a landslide, if he wins at all, but that's adifferent matter. As to his running, it has been consistently reported that he runs sub-7's which as someone said is quite admirable for a guy in his mid 50's but on a "talented runners" scale is no huge accomplishment.

Leave a comment:

• No Name
    replied

">Bush himself could have been a decent distance runner, had he been so inclined
    >during his youth.

I read that he ran 3 miles in 20:29 with some Marine
    >recruits in early 2003. Not bad for someone his age who's never had any formal
    >training!

So not bad that it probably didn't happen.
    A never-great runner in their fifties doing sub-seven's with no training? I doubt it. This administration was doing a lot of photo-ops showing Bush's image as a "young strong leader" at the time (remember the flight suit airlift to the carrier 200 yards out in the harbor bullsh*t?)."

I have a sneaking suspicion that your lefty political views contributed more to your statement than any actual analysis of what I said. It is quite possible that he ran 3 miles in 20:29. It is certainly possible that a man with a good amount of natural running ability who stays in shape over the years could run that time in his fifties. I think you're just bitter that he's going to win in a landslide in November.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied

>Bush himself could have been a decent distance runner, had he been so inclined
    >during his youth.

I read that he ran 3 miles in 20:29 with some Marine
    >recruits in early 2003. Not bad for someone his age who's never had any formal
    >training!

So not bad that it probably didn't happen.
    A never-great runner in their fifties doing sub-seven's with no training? I doubt it. This administration was doing a lot of photo-ops showing Bush's image as a "young strong leader" at the time (remember the flight suit airlift to the carrier 200 yards out in the harbor bullsh*t?).

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

I'll put you--and everyone--else out of your misery: They went to Swarthmore College.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

'You're getting closer.'

This is brutal. Actually, I can't remember where Bob Z went to school. Since I am getting closer (is that geographically or academically?) my next guess is Yale.

I do know where another contemporary of mine from Illinois went. That was Dave Merrick from Lincoln Way who went to Penn. I believe he still holds the 5 mile record at Van Cortlandt.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

You're getting closer.

Remember that Zoellick also went there, as well as major track nut Jed Brickner, author of "Days of the Weel" and "Lane" records.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

I give up. My last guess is Princeton.

Leave a comment:

• Halfmiler2
    replied

I hear there is a congressman from Kansas who was a pretty good college runner, too.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

Neither one. And back then it was unusual for collegiate runners to show up at Boston.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Alright if it wasn't BC than I will conjecture Harvard and if it isn't that it has to be Boston University.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X