Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who am I? (Ryun division)

I was the first runner to better a Jim Ryun record. Who am I?

Re: Who am I? (Ryun division)

if by "Jim Ryun record" we mean WR, then I will say Bayi's 3:32.2 for 1500 meters in the Commonwealth Games which I believe was 1974, besting Ryun's 3:33.1 from 1967.

Walker broke his 1967 3:51.1 mile record to smithereens a year later, in 1975, with his 3:49.4.

Think I have all those right BUT I DID NOT LOOK ANYTHING UP.

Comment

Well, it's a safe bet that the mark in question ISN'T his Wichita East school record in the mile...

Comment

Ryun's 880 WR only lasted 2 years.
        Of course, the real answer is Ryun himself with his 3:51.1 breaking his 1 year old record.

Comment

How long did his American record 2-mile last?

Comment

Of course, the real answer is Ryun
            >himself with his 3:51.1 breaking his 1 year old record.

I am a "real" runner, and I am not Ryun. It was not my first "record" run nor was it a "team record" run.

Comment

>Walker broke his 1967 3:51.1 mile record to smithereens a year later, in 1975, with his 3:49.4.<

Yes, but that was in August, three months after Bayi had run 3:51.0 in Kingston. It was Bayi who broke Ryun's mile record.

Comment

>>Walker broke his 1967 3:51.1 mile record to smithereens a year later, in
                >1975, with his 3:49.4.<

Yes, but that was in August, three months after Bayi
                >had run 3:51.0 in Kingston. It was Bayi who broke Ryun's mile record.

yes you are right ! I "researched" my answer AFTER I posted it and saw that i had forgotten Bayi's 3:51 flat. Just proves my honesty ?!

Comment

yes you are right ! I "researched" my answer AFTER I posted it and saw that i had forgotten Bayi's 3:51 flat. Just proves my honesty ?!<

Nobody ever doubted your honesty.

Anyway, I had an advantage that you did not. I was there in Kingston that night. I am very sure that if you had been there, too, you would not have forgotten it.

Comment

>yes you are right ! I "researched" my answer AFTER I posted it and saw that
                    >i had forgotten Bayi's 3:51 flat. Just proves my honesty ?!<

Nobody ever
                    >doubted your honesty.

Anyway, I had an advantage that you did not. I was
                    >there in Kingston that night. I am very sure that if you had been there, too,
                    >you would not have forgotten it.

no problema, senor, I never that you were doubting, I was just having fun. Neat that you were there in Jamaica !

Comment

To jumpstart resolution of this mystery, later this evening I will remind you how long I had the record before Ryun took it back. Unless, of course, this is clue enough to figure out who I am.

Comment

>Ryun's 880 WR only lasted 2 years.
                        Of course, the real answer is Ryun
                        >himself with his 3:51.1 breaking his 1 year old record.

Didn't Ryun's 880 WR last 7 years - 66 - 73? Topped by Wohlhuter in L.A. with a 1:44.6 I believe.

Comment

>how long I had the record before Ryun took it back.

Not even a full day.

First, one Saturday, Ryun gets the record. The very next Saturday, I get the record. And, later that same Saturday in the evening, Ryun got it back. Who am I?

Comment

A possible, but not completely correct, answer is Gerry Lindgren. Ryun set an "interscholastic" HS mile record of 4:06.4 at his state meet on 16 May 1964. Lindgren ran 4:06.0 at his state meet on the afternoon of 23 May. That night, Ryun ran 4:01.7 to finish 3rd at the California Relays — a HS (but not "interscholastic") record, moving Tom Sullivan's 4:03.5 from 1961 (also in an open meet) to second on the all-time list.

Comment

tc:

You got my initial question right. The first "record" Ryun lost was the high school only mile to Lindgren.

I should have left my initial question alone as your succinct history illustrates how my later clues muddied up the picture between open versus high school only competition. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X