Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1980

What made me puke (and I'm even lefty-leaning) was Carter's feeble defense of his decision on TV in '84.

Comment

Re: 1980

I would have liked to have seen Henry Rono and Mike Boit in the thick of things in Moscow. That was two Olympics in a row in which the Kenyans did not compete. And hopefully, someone would have displaced Cierpinski in the marathon.

Comment

Re: 1980 Olympic trials in Eugene

Not to mention the Soviet bloc athletes who got the turnabout screwing in '84. Syedikh might have not been able to hold off Litvenov one more time, but like Moses, he was probably screwed out of 3 in a row. About 6 weeks after the trials, some clown came around collecting funds for the USOC. Either a scam or amazing chutzpah. Almost as much fun as coming home from a "wonderful" NCAA meet in Provo and a week later having a couple guys on bikes, with white shirts and ties knocking on the door...

Comment

you're kidding I would like to hope; did "They" somehow have a list of persons that had purchased tickets to the meet ? But then again they were trying to "save " you....

Comment

hjsteve, no kidding as to the visitors in either case, just dumb luck. I don't assign any sinister forces to their arrival (other than the usual), my house just happened to be on their path.

Comment

I'm glad to hear that, really. Did not mean to offend anybody, sorry if I did.

Comment

Is there a roster online of the athletes who made the '80 Olympic team? I googled it and could not find one.

Comment

I said it 10 years ago on this thread, and I'll say it again. There was no '80 Olympic team. The USOC's calling a group of athletes an Olympic team doesn't make it an Olympic team, and doesn't make those athletes Olympians. The Olympic Games did take place that year. We didn't go. Very sad,

Comment

T&FN's position is that there was indeed an "Olympic Team" but that no American from that group can rightfully be called an "Olympian." Subtle but important difference.

And yes, it hurts to "put down" all those fine athletes, but facts am facts.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                      Is there a roster online of the athletes who made the '80 Olympic team? I googled it and could not find one.
                      The archive link on the homepage (well any page here) has a link to the history of the US Olympic trials which has all of the results.

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
                        The archive link on the homepage (well any page here) has a link to the history of the US Olympic trials which has all of the results.
                        The results don't include the roster of those people who were named to the honorary team.

Some of the events--the women's 1500 for certain, probably the men's 400H, and possibly the heptathlon--had four people named to the team. Several people named to the team did not have Olympic qualifying marks, so would not have been included on the team if they had been traveling to Moscow.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                          Originally posted by mcgato
                          The results don't include the roster of those people who were named to the honorary team.

Some of the events--the women's 1500 for certain, probably the men's 400H, and possibly the heptathlon--had four people named to the team. Several people named to the team did not have Olympic qualifying marks, so would not have been included on the team if they had been traveling to Moscow.
                          yes, I know that Francie Larrieu was named to the team in 4th because somebody ahead of her didn't have the standard, so had it been a real OT she would indeed have gone.

Comment

Pentathlon, not heptathlon.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                              Pentathlon, not heptathlon.
                              Yes, who could forget the "Personal Best" pentathletes.

Comment

Or the 1984 OG Pentathlon which was one of the closest multi-event competitions in memory.

Comment

Working...
                                X