Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multiple US High Jump Olympians 1948-2000

now NO LOOKING ANYTHING UP :

From 1948 onwards, there have been 7 male HJ'ers that made 2 or more Olympic Teams, counting 1980. 5 made 2 teams, and 2 made 3 teams. And 6 of the 7 brought home 9 medals. Can you name all 7 of these guys ?

Re: multiple US High Jump Olympians 1948-2000

Charles Dumas, John Thomas, and Dwight Stones, for sure...John Carruthers, too, probably...

Comment

Just remembered Charles Austin and Hollis Conway.

Does the fact that there were multiple movies make John Rambo a legit pick here? %-)

Comment

Charles Austin, Hollis Conway....
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Wow, Pego, got ya by 3 seconds!

Comment

Yep.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

ED Caruthers, not John

Comment

I spoke to Ed Caruthers a couple of years ago, we competed in high school and were team mates in junior college... a great guy, but he still gets riled up talking about Fosbury. Ed was the best conventional jumper in the world in 1968, he beat Gavrilov in Mexico City and yet lost the gold medal... it took a whole new era, the dawn of a revolutionary new age of high jumping to beat him! If only the games had been held the year before or Fos had been a year younger :-)

Comment

good work all of you ...the only one left is the one that never got a medal. Of couse he only had one chance...

plus, if you REALLY are bored, how many of the other HJ Olympians can you name from 1948 on ? By my count there are 26 more, plus the one multiple not yet named. And these 26 earned only 5 medals; 2 golds, 1 silver,and 3 bronze.

Remember no referencing. I only was allowed to do that !

Comment

Oops, yes, sorry: Ed rather than John Carruthers. Proof that I didn't have my nose in a reference book...

Comment

and only one "r"....duh.

Comment

Well, George Stanich was favored in '48 but got bronze after two scissor guys. Then there was Ken Wiesner in '52, silver after Buddy Davis. That was the last time Western Roll guys were on the podium, Davis and Conceicao were rollers.
                        But the one HJSteve is after I can't come up with as I don't remember the '80 team right now. I suppose numerous glasses of Zinfandel do not help.
                        But did James Barrineau from the '76 team make the '80 team??

Comment

My vote (guess) goes to Barrineau... wasn't he Dwight Stones cousin as well?

Comment

I am already feeling better about Barrineau
                            since JHC is backing me up. But Doug Nordquist was Stones cousin - Swedish connection -
                            Some other Olympians, the two guys who helped keeping my hero Shelton off the team in '56, Reaves & Wilson. Howard and McCants in '88

Comment

>how many
                              >of the other HJ Olympians can you name from 1948 on

Joe Faust joined Thomas (Bronze) and Dumas on the the '60 team.

John Rambo (Bronze) joined Thomas (Silver) and Caruthers on the '64 team.

High Schooler Reynaldo Brown joined Fosbury (Gold) and Caruthers (Silver) on the '68 team.

Chris Dunn and Ron Jourdan joined Stones (Bronze) on the '72 team.

Comment

Working...
                              X