Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest track meet ever?

My choice is the 1956 USA Olympic Trials in the L.A. Coliseum.

It had everything from world and American records to the drama of great competition. And it didn't hurt that we had, by far, the best track team in the world.

The above is a great choice. Many others will cite Rome 1960 OG's and Mexico City 1968 OG's.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
      The above is a great choice. Many others will cite Rome 1960 OG's and Mexico City 1968 OG's.
      These two are pretty hard to argue with.
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Yawn. 1958, Millikan HS vs Wilson HS, 1958. Shotput win puts Millikan over the top. You guys know nothing!

Comment

It is hard to argue with any of the suggestions put forth. I would add the 1958 European Championship in Gothenburg, the US vs USSR dual meets of the late '50's and the 1974 Commonwealth Games in Christchurch.

Comment

The 1968 OG were a high-altitude farce. They never should be considered for any accolades whatsoever, and all 'record' marks from there are bogus beyond belief.

Comment

Thank you hammy, for being one of the all-to-few who gets it. The Masback-adminstrations ongoing flogging of "the greatest team ever" was rancid from the concept and only got painfully moreso.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Thank you hammy, for being one of the all-to-few who gets it. The Masback-adminstrations ongoing flogging of "the greatest team ever" was rancid from the concept and only got painfully moreso.
                I don't know about the "greatest track meet ever"... I tend to take my track events one at a time... And of course the results at Mexico City were influenced by the altitude, that should go without saying. However, there were some amazing performers and races in 1968, many of whom might still be in the hunt for the medals, even 40 + years later. With full respect for bh and gh, I find that amazing...

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                  I don't know about the "greatest track meet ever"... I tend to take my track events one at a time... And of course the results at Mexico City were influenced by the altitude, that should go without saying. However, there were some amazing performers and races in 1968, many of whom might still be in the hunt for the medals, even 40 + years later. With full respect for bh and gh, I find that amazing...
                  The raggamuffin, still get'n no respect 1972 4x100 would have dusted the world record setting studs of 1968. Stick that in your thin air mexico city pipe and smoke it.
                  ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

1988 was not half bad either...

As for 1968: From the perspective of the time (when
                    the effects of altitude where no understood), it must have
                    been a truly amazing experience.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                      Originally posted by rasb
                      The raggamuffin, still get'n no respect 1972 4x100 would have dusted the world record setting studs of 1968. Stick that in your thin air mexico city pipe and smoke it.
                      Of course the 1968 team didn't include two of their fastest on the team. Otherwise, they might still have the record...I don't think there has yet been a better foursome than Hines, Green, Smith and Carlos....

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                        Interesting that you'd include these two.

I'd be far more inclined to take the one in the middle.

Comment

And the one right after
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                            And the one right after
                            For me, '72 is hopelessly marred (to put it lightly) by the slaughter. From a historical point of view, it's really hard to separate those events from the "official" goings-on...

Comment

Hitler watching a black man dismantle his "superior race" has to be one of the best.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X