Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rome '84 with Vigneron jumping a WR of 5.91 followed by Bubka 10 minutes later with a 5.94 WR.

Comment

Originally posted by Mighty Favog
      Judged by these standards, nothing tops the '91 Worlds long jump
      Nothing in my experience tops that either. I also clearly remember the hangover I had the next morning, which was directly correlated with the level of the LJ competition!

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
        Originally posted by rasb
        * Bayi/Walker in the 1974 Commonwealth Games
        Although when this happened and I was just reading reports of it in T&FN I thought of this as a duel, but after watching the video of the whole race a couple of years ago I no longer think of this as a duel. It was more like Bayi against the field. Jipcho and Dixon had just as good a shot as Walker. Easily the best 1500 I have ever seen - I love the front runners!
        Yes, except, Walker was a 4:06 miler in 1973, until he ran 3:59 in our little Meet in Victoria, winning the B section by a long way. In other words, he was just arriving at that level, and it was he that had the b+lls to set out after Bayi, which, just from a personal level, left a big impression on me. But you are right, it was Bayi against the World....still a pretty good duel, and it was hard front-running at it's finest, for sure...

Comment

Agreed. I watched it live and was very late for work.

The Hingsen Thompson battles were always interesting. Little room for error in those decathlons.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
            Nothing in my experience tops that either. I also clearly remember the hangover I had the next morning, which was directly correlated with the level of the LJ competition!
            The Stadium in Tokyo was electrified during that competition, absolutely...
            And that doesn't even count the 90,000 Fuji flash cameras, that captured all the drama... There was a serious light show, just from the cameras...

Comment

Coe - Ovett Moscow 1980 1500m final - build up was practically hysterical in the uk at the time. Great race though poor time perhaps disqualifies this.
              Cram - Aouita Nice 1985 - the real deal. Great build up , evenly matched opponents and incredibly close (4 hundredths in it at the end).
              Cram - Coe Oslo Mile 1985 - ditto the Nice race above though result was less in doubt when Crammy took off with 200 to go. I still think Cram is underrated - at his best he would have held his own with Morceli.
              Hagg v Andersson - all of their races (especially in '44 and '45 when Andersson actually started beating Hagg) were massively hyped. Great description of one of them in Norman Harris' The Lonely Breed.
              And finally........bit offended nobody put this down but hey it was a long time ago....
              Lovelock v Cunningham Berlin Olympic 1500m 1936 - an epic that might have been even better had Sydney Wooderson not been injured. Full race is shown in Riefenstahl's Olympia. GREAT race.

Comment

How could I forget this one? Gebrselassie v Bekele Paris 2003 10,000m final - what a race that was! Sihine right up there too for 23 laps. Amazing - my favourite ever 10,000 m if only for Cram's amazement as the 61 second laps mount up!

Comment

Almost a century has passed since, but on any list of duels with Finns involved, I can't think of anything topping Kolehmainen vs. Bouin 5K at '12 OG. Expectations (at least in France and Finland), Olympic setting, high quality (going way under 5K and 3 mile WRs), ultra-tight competition, Finnish upset victory

Comment

If we're talking of Bayi, how about Bayi vs Malinowski in the 1980 Olympic steeplechase?
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Lovelock
                      Lovelock v Cunningham Berlin Olympic 1500m 1936 - an epic that might have been even better had Sydney Wooderson not been injured. Full race is shown in Riefenstahl's Olympia. GREAT race.
                      To top it off, the race also had the reigning Olympic champion, Luigi Beccali.

Comment

Liquori-Ryun, '71 Martin Luther King Games

Ryun-Keino, '67 US vs Commonwealth

Comment

Pre-Lindgren 1969? Pac-8 cross country on Standford golf course. Running lock step for six miles, 200 yards in front of 3rd place.To my young eyes it looked like they were sprinting the whole way. A photo finish in a 6 mile cross country race?!!!
                          phsstt!

Comment

For me, for it to be a duel, it favours the field events, and the long distances. Sprints of course count, but more when it's over rounds as gh sites in his Lewis vs Johnson example, or when there are two athletes that have been close all season.

Feofanova vs Dragila in Edmonton was one that comes to my mind as a great duel. It was tit for tat the whole way - great comp.

Another two, both invloving Kostadinova, were the 88 and 96 Olympics. In 88 neither her nor Ritter could go higher, so it was back down in heights...very nail biting. Equally in Atlanta she had a great duel (to a point) with Bakoyianni.

Comment

Noah Ngeny and El Guerrouj 1999-2000. They had some epic battles.

Comment

Skeets and Greg Foster
                                on the road

Comment

Working...
                                X