• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

El Guerrouj vs. Lagat in Athens '04.

Comment

Originally posted by joeltetreault
      Thats a great one with Lagat inching ahead with 60m to go until El G finds one more gear.
      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by mcgato
        Burr-Hamilton 1804
        That was gonna be my pick.... :lol: :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
          Originally posted by joeltetreault
          Thats a great one with Lagat inching ahead with 60m to go until El G finds one more gear.
          I forgot about that one. It should be high up on any list, especially given it was effectively El G's final chance. The final 100m was as good as it gets.

Comment

Mal Whitfield vs Arthur Wint 800m 1948 and 1952

Comment

Originally posted by noone
              Mal Whitfield vs Arthur Wint 800m 1948 and 1952
              This thread could be made into a great movie, if was commentated with full and appropriately dramatic overviews, and the buildups towards many of the various battles referred to...Who should direct it, and comment on it?
              No, not you, Marlow.... :wink:
              Chariots of Fire would pale by comparison....

Comment

gh, can you tell the people about the Evans vrs. McGrady indoor battles at 660 and 600m? They wont believe me cause i'm a nut...anyone else have the prviledge to see these two giants battle?
                phsstt!

Comment

I don't remember any 660's, but their indoor duels at other distances were classics. The 600y at the National Indoor Championships in 1970 remains one of the most exciting races I've ever seen. Yes, SQUACKEE, it was a privilege to be there.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    I don't remember any 660's, but their indoor duels at other distances were classics. The 600y at the National Indoor Championships in 1970 remains one of the most exciting races I've ever seen. Yes, SQUACKEE, it was a privilege to be there.
                    Thanx for responding tandfman, my memory is probably wrong, Was it 600 yards? Did they run that a lot in those days?
                    phsstt!

Comment

I saw 2 or 3 battles - up close (on the infield). Some of the best head to head battles of the giants. Evans - WR holder 400m, Olympic Gold Medalist x2 - on paper should have never lost AND McGrady should have never won. Mcgrady seemed to have his number, yet did little outdoors.

I would put those battles in my top 5 - maybe even #1. the atmosphere was electric - after Martin beat Lee the first time - subsequent showdowns were showcases for everything that is track - incredible - one of those bigg - bigg buzzes throughout the stands.

They never failed to produce. Big buzzzzzzz after the races as well. Hard to imagine anything coming close to the drama, sheer talent and 'clever' brutal racing. Always thought that the eyes were one of the tell tale signs about who was going to win a given race - McGrady had those wild ones and Evans that determined look of a man on a mission to reclaim his alpha standing

I'm gonna go run some speed work - if only I could

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                        Originally posted by tandfman
                        Thanx for responding tandfman, my memory is probably wrong, Was it 600 yards? Did they run that a lot in those days?
                        Yes, that was a standard indoor distance. It was run at many invitational meets (the Mel Sheppard 600 was a featured event at the Millrose Games) and in fact it was a National Championship distance from 1940 to 1986. It was also an NCAA Indoor Championship distance from the first NCAA indoor meet in 1965 until 1983. The conferences ran it as well. I saw an awful lot of indoor track meets in those days, and I saw many 600y races, but I don't recall ever seeing a 660.

Comment

Originally posted by ndamix
                          Originally posted by mcgato
                          Burr-Hamilton 1804
                          That was gonna be my pick.... :lol: :lol:
                          And let's not forget Jackson-Dickinson 1806 and Pirie-Kuts 1956.

Comment

On August 13, 1997, in Zurich, Gebrselassie sprinted past Komen with less than 200 meters remaining, after Komen had been leading the race, to win and break his own world record with a 12:41.86. Komen ran 12:44.90. This was a battle with the world record at stake.
                            In Brussels on August 22, only 9 days later, Komen ran 12:39.74 to break Gebrselassie's record. Of course later that evening, Tergat would also break Gebrselassie's 10000 record with a 26:27.85.
                            On June 13, 1998, Gebrselassie ran 12:39.36 in Helsinki to barely break Komen's mark from the previous year.
                            One interesting, or perhaps not, tidbit. There are three men in history who have run under 12:46 and only two of them have done it three times and their names are Gebrselassie and Komen.
                            I would posit that these two men pushed each other, whether in the same race or not, to comprise one of track and field's greatest duels, using the term a tad loosely.

For a single race, I would have to place the Salazar/Beardsley duel fairly high.

Comment

How about Shaheen v Kemboi in Paris WC 3000 steeplechase? Evenly matched opponents, the little matter of Shaheen's nationality switch from Kenya to Qatar, crazy pace set by Shaheen before Kemboi catches him but just loses on the sprint. Brilliant - loved it. Paris was a great world champs.
                              Which reminds me....... El Guerrouj v Bekele v Kipchoge over 5000m at both 2003 Paris World Champs and at 2004 Athens Olympics. Just great punch ups. Last years Olympic 5000 with Bekele v Kipchoge was pretty good too. Certainly Bekele's closing 5 laps were unmatchable by ANYBODY - not even Geb at his best.

Comment

How about Shaheen v Kemboi in Paris WC 3000 steeplechase? Evenly matched opponents, the little matter of Shaheen's nationality switch from Kenya to Qatar, crazy pace set by Shaheen before Kemboi catches him but just loses on the sprint. Brilliant - loved it. Paris was a great world champs.
                                Which reminds me....... El Guerrouj v Bekele v Kipchoge over 5000m at both 2003 Paris World Champs and at 2004 Athens Olympics. Just great punch ups. Last years Olympic 5000 with Bekele v Kipchoge was pretty good too. Certainly Bekele's closing 5 laps were unmatchable by ANYBODY - not even Geb at his best.

Comment

Working...
                                X