• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mcgato
    Burr-Hamilton 1804

It was certainly historic!

Comment

Kuts-Chataway

I seem to recall that the Kuts-Chataway duel over 5000m at White City, London in 1954, was a classic with Chataway winning in the final 5 meters and setting a new world record of 13:51.6.

Comment

Koch/Kratochvilova Athens 82
        Gohr and Ashford in the late 70s/80s
        Drechsler/JJK in Long Jump
        Oliszaryenko/Mineyeva Moscow 80
        Wells/Mennea Moscow 80
        Sedylh/Litvinov throughout the 80s

Comment

Cram v Ovett 1983 Crystal Palace mile

Comment

Originally posted by Rog
            Sedylh/Litvinov throughout the 80s
            Add Tamm to those two. Hammer has a few more of such battles - Connolly/Krivonosov, Zsivótzky/Klim, just off top of my head.
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Wilson girls vs Poly girls (late 90s and early 2000s)

Comment

I just read through this entire thread, and it seems that no one has mentioned a pretty good one...

2 guys running a mile in Vancouver in 1954......

Comment

Brumel / Thomas (one sided as it was, every meeting was great!!!)

And, to me, the best long-standing rivalry in the field events was Boston / Ter-O

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    I just read through this entire thread, and it seems that no one has mentioned a pretty good one...

Post #7, from catson52:

"Anticipation of a great match up is part of the mix and adds considerably to one's enjoyment of the actual clash. For my money, Bannister-Landy from 1954 in Vancouver has to be number one."

Comment

Originally posted by noone
                      Mal Whitfield vs Arthur Wint 800m 1948 and 1952
                      Judging by what I have read in different places, Whitfield won both races relatively comfortably, taking charge in the backstretch of the second lap.

Kuts-Chatway from White City and Kuts-Pirie (10K Melbourne) were also high order races with drama. For the latter read the TFN description from 1956 and that of the epic 110mHH race between Calhoun and Jack Davis. Finally, the 1952 5K final in Helsinki, as described by Quercetani.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                        Originally posted by dukehjsteve

Post #7, from catson52:

"Anticipation of a great match up is part of the mix and adds considerably to one's enjoyment of the actual clash. For my money, Bannister-Landy from 1954 in Vancouver has to be number one."
                        Thanks dj, I missed it.

Comment

I frequently visit Vancouver but, inexplicably, have never bothered to identify and locate the Bannister/Landy track.
                          Does anyone know if it is still extant?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                            I frequently visit Vancouver but, inexplicably, have never bothered to identify and locate the Bannister/Landy track.
                            I know it was scheduled for demolition in the early '90s. When the Goodwill Games was in Seattle, I thought of coming in a couple days early to see relatives in Bellingham, and then driving the 30M to Vancouver, in part to see the stadium.

I forget what got in the way of those plans, but something did and as a result I've never seen Empire Stadium.

Comment

Colin Jackson...Roger Kingdom
                              on the road

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                                I should know this, but I don't.....I haven't by that way for several years, but I don't think either the Stadium or the Track are still there....
                                But there is a marvellous bronze statue there, capturing the moment when Landy looked over his left shoulder, and Bannister went by on the right....
                                The PNE (Pacific National Exhibition is right there, I think the old Empire Stadium was part of the same Grounds (mojo knows this better than I), but the statue is right on the road side. East Hastings Street ? Some Vancouverite will chime in soon on this one....

Comment

Working...
                                X