Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
    Rome '84 with Vigneron jumping a WR of 5.91 followed by Bubka 10 minutes later with a 5.94 WR.
    Aye. Every time Vigneron broke the WR, Bubka took it back. If I'm not mistaken, I think they traded the WR 3 times, and each time the length of Vigneron's hold on the WR got shorter and shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Lovelock
      How could I forget this one? Gebrselassie v Bekele Paris 2003 10,000m final - what a race that was! Sihine right up there too for 23 laps. Amazing - my favourite ever 10,000 m if only for Cram's amazement as the 61 second laps mount up!
      Indeed. 13:52 for the first 5,000 and 12:57 for the second. When was the last time a 10K had negative splits that wide (55s)?

Comment

Good old Empire Stadium-ran many a high school meet there. Ys the stadium was on the PNE grounds.

The stadium was demolished in the 90's-so sad.

I love that Bannister/Landry statue and am quite sure it is still there.I believe that is where the statue to Terry Fox is as well? Yes I would say it is on East Hastings street as well.

My fav Vancouver track will also be the (and it was back then) crumbling Brockton Oval-so many memories of training and competing there. Got my 400mH PB there. Home track to the great Harry Jerome (who also has a great statue in his honour in Stanley Park).
        Way off the topic but some tracks are special and trigger loads of memories;Empire and Brockton are two that fit that category for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
          Good old Empire Stadium-ran many a high school meet there. Ys the stadium was on the PNE grounds.

The stadium was demolished in the 90's-so sad.

I love that Bannister/Landry statue and am quite sure it is still there.I believe that is where the statue to Terry Fox is as well? Yes I would say it is on East Hastings street as well.

My fav Vancouver track will also be the (and it was back then) crumbling Brockton Oval-so many memories of training and competing there. Got my 400mH PB there. Home track to the great Harry Jerome (who also has a great statue in his honour in Stanley Park).
          Way off the topic but some tracks are special and trigger loads of memories;Empire and Brockton are two that fit that category for me.
          yes....and add Swangaard and Centennial Stadium for me.... That Hayward place isn't too bad, either....

Comment

I Google Earthed Vancouver. It shows the location of Empire Stadium on East Hastings; says it was demolished in the 1990s and another athletic facility built on the site but no track is recognizeable on google.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52
              Anticipation of a great match up is part of the mix and adds considerably to one's enjoyment of the actual clash. For my money, Bannister-Landy from 1954 in Vancouver has to be number one.
              That's it for me too.
              Another great one from that era: Chataway-Kuts in London, Oct '54. with Chataway beating Kuts and the WR. This came after Kuts's stunning 5000 at the Euros in Berne.

Of course, I'll never forget Zatopek against Mimoun, Schade and Chataway in the 5000 at Helsinki.

Comment

Lillian Board & Colette Besson, at 400m in the late 1960s. Their duel in the last leg of the 4x4 final at the 1969 Euros is the most exciting race you could wish to see.

Comment

Has anyone yet mentioned the Mills-Lindgren 6 miler at the 1965 AAU meet ?

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    Or the Lindgren/Clarke dual in London shortly afterwards?

Comment

Devers-Ottey Stuttgart '93
                      Stecher-Boyle Munich 200 '72

Comment

Originally posted by skiboo
                        And of course, the legendary duels between Evelyn Ashford and Marlies Göhr. If there were any doubts as to who was the greatest, the 1984 race in Zürich ended that argument for good. I wish Evelyn had run a serious 400 before she retired. She surely would have gone 48-low, maybe even 47-high.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                          Couldn't find any details of this (10K/6 mile?) race between Clarke and Lindgren in a quick look through old issues of TFN. Can you remind us about this race?

Comment

Originally posted by CookyMonzta
                            Originally posted by skiboo
                            And of course, the legendary duels between Evelyn Ashford and Marlies Göhr. If there were any doubts as to who was the greatest, the 1984 race in Zürich ended that argument for good. I wish Evelyn had run a serious 400 before she retired. She surely would have gone 48-low, maybe even 47-high.
                            I have great regard for Ashford as a 100/200 runner. But to suggest a low 48 or even high 47 400 m run by Ashford in the early-mid eighties, stretches the imagination. Note that quite a few of those who subsequently ran such times are highly suspect re "chemical help". And Ashford is certainly NOT suspect along those lines.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52
                              Originally posted by rasb
                              Couldn't find any details of this (10K/6 mile?) race between Clarke and Lindgren in a quick look through old issues of TFN. Can you remind us about this race?
                              On July 10th, 1965, Ron Clarke broke the world record for 3 miles, running 12:52.4, at the White City Stadium in London. It was apparently an epic battle between two of the guys who didn't want to sit around and play tactics, but wanted to "lay it down", and see what happened...
                              Gerry Lindgren and Billy Mills had just had a great race at the AAU Championships in the USA. Ron Clarke was about to go on to Oslo, and smash the world record @ 10000 metres, running 27:39.4, which beat his own Record by 34.6 seconds, and it was a run (not race), in which there were only 2 other starters, and it was basically Clarke vs. the clock for 20 of the 25 laps....
                              In between, was the 3-mile race in London...
                              Clarke told us, it was one of his favourite races, because it was totally man-on-man, and when one took the lead, the other followed, and then they took the lead, and so it went, lap by lap, trying to break the other man....
                              I found this on the web,
                              "Clarke was in great form. If Oslo was his greatest run in 1965, then he had just come off his greatest race, a 3-mile World Record in London against Lindgren, in which the pair traded surges like middleweight boxers trading body blows. Clarke's World Record was the knock-out blow".
                              There is some video and photo records of the race on the Web, I am sorry, I don't know how to link them.....maybe, someone else can...

Comment

Thanks, rasb. I did not start subscribing to TFN until Sept. 1965, about a year after my first entry to the New World. I regret not having the magazines describing Clarke's great 3m and 10K records from 1965.

Comment

Working...
                                X