conditions at Mexico:

L1: Lee EVANS
    L2: Harry Butch REYNOLDS
    L3: Quincy WATTS
    L4: Tommie SMITH
    L5: Michael JOHNSON
    L6: Danny EVERETT
    L7: Steve LEWIS
    L8: Innocent EGBUNIKE ( more as a rabbit)

To my mind, the winner would be Tommie SMITH
    in a terrific 42"52...

Re: Who would win ? (2)...

If in lane 4 or 5 I just have this feeling that Butch could produce the goods in his perfect race. Taking into account that Johnson has already had his perfect race and the chances of replicating or bettering it for me are low, I go for Butch. Remember Johnson absolutely maximised his sky high talent, but I don't believe Butch did. In suggested lane order though - Johnson will win. Lane order will have a certain influence at this very high level.

Comment

there's only 1 Michael, and the Quincy that was in Barcelona would be 2nd in this hypothetical race. Time would not be as low as you said but would be sub-43.

Comment

Johnson in a duck walk(relatively speaking) Johnson was so good I'm certain he would have won the 2001 worlds in the 400 meters. (Not sure about the 200 as he seemed to be physically breaking down in that event)

Comment

I assume that everyone is in their prime. As MJ never ran at altitude (to my knowledge) I suspect that given his Sevilla form, he would splay the field. It would be a totally new experience (altitude), and he would revel.

Comment

I agree that lanes would have an effect and having watched Butch train on many occasions, he could never win out of lane #2 against that field.

Comment

Someone runs sub-43, maybe more than one someone. Who? My heart picks Tommie, my brain says MJ, but what about the incalculables? How would MJ or Tommie react to a field they couldn't shake? How much toughness do these guys have? Butch, Watts, Tommie and MJ all looked like machines when at their best... the gutsiest runner in the field is stuck in lane 1 ! No assured winner here but a very fast time. What a cool race.

Comment

I think Smith. Switch lanes 4-5 and I probably go with Johnson. MJ hated to run outside of the people he regarded as his most serious challengers.

Comment

You really haven't included the best 8 runners if you did Mckinley would be there, Innocent had the fastest non American time at one time but he never won a world or Olympic gold.....

Comment

Replace Egbunike with "El Caballo".
                    If Mckenley, then there is no avoiding George Rhoden.
                    42.7 for MJ is not unreasonable. In my mind Tommie Smith had the potential to beat them all.

Comment

Per, do you think Juantorena had the footspeed to keep up with this group? He had the strength and his stride was huge, but could he match up in pure speed?

Comment

For a long thread on Smith versus Johnson go here:

http://trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/discus ... sage=23562

Comment

>Per, do you think Juantorena had the footspeed to keep up with this group?

I think so. He ran faster at sea-level than Evans ever did. His 44.27 in Montreal was his 7th race in 7 days. As you said, he had the stride and the strength. He ran the last 100 of the Montreal 800 in 11.9! Would you bet against him in a 200 against Lee Evans?

Comment

MJ did not run the perfect race with his 43.18 WR. He was probably at his best (400m wise) at the 1993 WC when he split 42.94 on his relay leg and in 1995 when he ran 43.49 at the USATF Outdoor. In review the video of both (and yes, I have all of his major races), he appeared to be at his most efficient in these races. In other words, he didn't reach his peak with those two performances.

However, I think Butch would be a close 2nd. Lee Evans 3rd. Danny Everett 4th. Quincy Watts 5th.

Kurt

Comment

I don't honestly believe that any athlete ever has reached their peak, simply because there is no such thing as a PERFECT performance, and you can always shave off those extra hundredths of a second, or that extra centimtere.
                              That's why Track and Field is so exciting to me as both a competitor or a spectator, because guessing the limits which we can all achieve is so challenging.

Comment

Working...
                              X