Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20,000 year old man runs at 37km/h ...

(Or 23mph for the metrically-challenged amongst you)

http://www.smh.com.au/world/science/men ... ml?page=-1

IF YOU think Usain Bolt is a fast runner, consider an Aboriginal man who was chasing kangaroos or waterbirds barefoot on a lake edge in south-western NSW about 20,000 years ago. Footprints he left in the mud reveal he was sprinting at 37 kilometres an hour, and still accelerating.
    Has anyone heard of this before?

(And no, article didn't mention if he was any relation to Cathy Freeman or not)

Two observations:

1. If we go back long enough, the genetic differences
    could make a comparison with modern humans unfair
    (in either direction). Whether 20,000 years is enough,
    is another question.

2. Articles of this kind tend to jump to conclusions that are
    not always correct.

Comment

What was the wind speed?
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Would you not need to know the height/stride lengrh of the aborigine runner to make this calculation? :?

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          Would you not need to know the height/stride lengrh of the aborigine runner to make this calculation? :?
          I have absolutely no idea how they arrived at the conclusion based on a set of footprints. They probably just assumed he had andre cason's turnover.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
            What was the wind speed?
            I believe that's JRM-adjusted time Powell.

Really need the calc adjusted for track surface the better. The sooner it's extended to take into account surfaces like cinders, grass and mudflats the better.

Comment

Originally posted by elcaballo
              Originally posted by Powell
              What was the wind speed?
              I believe that's JRM-adjusted time Powell.

Really need the calc adjusted for track surface the better. The sooner it's extended to take into account surfaces like cinders, grass and mudflats the better.
              What did they use for PED's in those days?
              And maybe he was chasing down a very fast woman...Aha, now there's a Performance Enhancer...

Comment

Re: 20,000 year old man runs at 37km/h ...

Originally posted by elcaballo
                (Or 23mph for the metrically-challenged amongst you)

http://www.smh.com.au/world/science/men ... ml?page=-1

IF YOU think Usain Bolt is a fast runner, consider an Aboriginal man who was chasing kangaroos or waterbirds barefoot on a lake edge in south-western NSW about 20,000 years ago. Footprints he left in the mud reveal he was sprinting at 37 kilometres an hour, and still accelerating.
                Has anyone heard of this before?

(And no, article didn't mention if he was any relation to Cathy Freeman or not)
                I've seen people using their scientific credentials to spew nonsense. A couple of points.

Neanderthal girl beating up Arnold? Sounds terrific, but nobody knows real strength of the Neanderthals. Why comparing anyhow, since Homo Neandertalis were a different species than Homo Sapiens.
                (BTW, there is an excellent article on the Neanderthals in the August issue of Scientific American.)

Mongol archers "6X further and accurate than...? Give me a break. Gengiskhan, after the conquest of China, was ecstatic over the gun powder that the Chinese used for fireworks. He quickly adopted it for the artillery.

I suspect her science with the Aboriginal footprints is equally impressive.
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Not even close to provable.

Comment

Fun reading, nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      Marlow, are you doubting the "scientists"? This should not be allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                        Originally posted by Marlow
                        Marlow, are you doubting the "scientists"? This should not be allowed.
                        I'm still excited for 2052 when the women marathoners will be faster than the men marathoners!!!

Comment

I think I remember that guy from 20,000 years ago... didn't he run at an NAIA school somewhere in west Texas? Then there was some sort of eligibility problem and he had to drop out after only 8 or 10 years of competing there, Can't place his name, though.
                          Brutal/Texas, is he on your lists?

Comment

Converts to a 9.73 in the 100 meters. Of course, the old guy apparently had the advantage of a running start.

Comment

"...he was sprinting at 37 kilometres an hour, and still accelerating..."

...at the point he was caught and became some other creature's lunch...

Comment

Working...
                              X