X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DG
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    Maybe I didn't say that right. My point is, a big deal was made out of Luz Longs alleged selfless gesture in advising Owens to move his marks back. Well, duh... this is not brain surgery.. surely Owens figured that out for himself..
    To bad Saladino could not figured it out today (long jump final Berlin09)after fouling in his first atempt with aprox. 8m55 and only needing 7m96 to stay alive in the competition (and having a coach in the stands to give advise and still not making any adjustments)

Leave a comment:

• mrbowie
    replied
    Although an icon of the highest caliber, Jesse Owens made up stuff and hid other stuff, only to finally reveal it later in life. The guy obviously knew what played well in Hollywood, so to speak, and he tailored his tales for maximum dramatic impact.

And you know what, based on the shabby manner in which the guy had been treated, who in the hell could blame him!

Cannot even imagine being a black or a Jew on that 1936 team, what with the freaking Nazis AND Avery Brundage!!!

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I thought this sounded familiar. This ground has been pretty thoroughly plowed.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... php?t=1836

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Maybe I didn't say that right. My point is, a big deal was made out of Luz Longs alleged selfless gesture in advising Owens to move his marks back. Well, duh... this is not brain surgery.. surely Owens figured that out for himself..

Leave a comment:

• catson52
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    I don't know what is true here but I have always wondered why anyone, after fouling first two jumps, would need advice or help to back up to start runup. :?
    Makes sense. Compare to Beamon in qualifying in 1968 Oly. After fouling his first two jumps, he came down the runway at less than full speed, took off well behind the board and recorded 26'10", if I recollect correctly. This jump was exceeded by very few in the rest of the long jump competition, Q and F. Owens' qualified by a scant margin of half an inch or so on his third jump (again quoting from memory).

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I don't know what is true here but I have always wondered why anyone, after fouling first two jumps, would need advice or help to back up to start runup. :?

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    started a topic NPR: Long/Owens story a myth

NPR: Long/Owens story a myth

A historian says Jesse Owens told him the story of Luz Long helping him during the competition was made up, and that the two didn't actually meet and become friends until after the event.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =111878822
Working...
X