Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• August 22,1984

Evelyn Ashford sets the world record in the 100 meters with a clocking of 10.76 seconds in a meet at Zurich, silencing the doubters.
    To top it all, it was done against her rival Marlies Göhr.

Re: August 22,1984

The U.S. women's 4x100 relay teams today need someone like Evelyn to set them straight. They need both her and Gwen to coach the relay squads. Europe would not have been a vacation for the team, because Evelyn and Gwen would have had them spending hard time up there practicing their exchanges until the World Champs or Olympics came around.

Speaking of sprint squads, what happened to HSI?

Comment

Re: August 22,1984

[quote="Run84"]Evelyn Ashford sets the world record in the 100 meters with a clocking of 10.76 seconds in a meet at Zurich, silencing the doubters.
      To top it all, it was done against her rival Marlies Göhr. [/quote

I posted on another thread that Evelyn was the only finalist who didn't have to run a qualifying round to get to that stage - not a fair race, in other words. If anyone has proof to the contrary I'd be glad to see it though.

Comment

I posted on another thread that Evelyn was the only finalist who didn't have to run a qualifying round to get to that stage - not a fair race, in other words. If anyone has proof to the contrary I'd be glad to see it though.
        I remember reading what you put on another thread a few weeks ago, but can't remember what source you used?
        I've just checked back in my AW collection, and though no mention is made of heats (or Ashford having to run one), in the results section it does list Heat A & B results. Auerswald, Bailey & Bacoul were the 1,2,3 in heat A, while Williams, Gohr (11.13) , Gladisch, Jackson & Baptiste are listed for heat B. There is NO mention of Ashford, so it looks like she didn't have to run a heat. In which case, that is grossly unfair to Gohr having to run against a fresh Ashford an hour or so later. Really surprised this wasn't made known at the time!

Comment

Heat A

1. Auerswald 11.19
          2. Bailey 11.25
          3. Bacoul 11.39

Heat B

1. Williams 11.08
          2. Gohr 11.13
          3. Gladisch 11.26
          4. Jackson 11.32
          5. Baptiste 11.51.

No Ashford.

Comment

Heat A

1. Auerswald 11.19
            2. Bailey 11.25
            3. Bacoul 11.39

Heat B

1. Williams 11.08
            2. Gohr 11.13
            3. Gladisch 11.26
            4. Jackson 11.32
            5. Baptiste 11.51.

No Ashford.
            Did you get this from AW or T&FN? If it's the latter, then it would seem pretty certain that Ashford just had the 1 race!

Comment

It's from Athletics Weekly.

Comment

Evelyn set the world record & she was pregnant at the time (although I believe so early that she didn't know it yet).

Comment

Working...
                X