Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track -Jazz/Blues connection

I promised a local radio producer (weekly jazz program) that I'd help out with some prelim research for a summer program, focusing on the Olympics. Anyone know of any track athletes/coaches from any era who may have been accomplished musicians as well? There must be some, no? Jazz/Blues is the focus, but all genres welcome as well. Except for Victor Conte's band. We should keep that one out for the time being.

Thanks!

Re: Track -Jazz/Blues connection

Jon Drummond sang with a gospel group if that's any help.

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/Drummond_Jon.asp

Comment

A possible tie-in for you: Miles Davis's "Jack Johnson"--both the original 1971 release and the great new 5-CD "Complete Jack Johnson Sessions." The later has been on constant rotation in this house for some time. Obviously, Johnson never competed in the Olympics, but boxing IS an Olympic event. The music has great drive and "muscle."

Comment

>Jon Drummond sang with a gospel group if that's any
        >help.

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/Drummond_Jon.asp

Well remembered! He sang with the Kirk Franklin family, and so he must have been quite good. Kirk Franklin is probably THE most established gospel singers of recent times.

Also, British 800m runner Jo Fenn is the lead singer of a group. I think their stuff is blue/county kinda stuff. If you do a google search on her, most interviews with her will mention her music at some point or another.

Comment

Lawrence Johnson:

http://www.lojoentertainment.com/

Comment

Aw, come on, Tower of Power was a pretty good band and Conte played a pretty minor role. They were blues influenced, but basically a rock band, so probably wouldn't hit the spot with you audience. But Conte may have quite a bit of influence on the Olympics. Chambers drew a life Olympic ban from the Brits, and there is US fallout yet to come. One cut from East Bay Grease might lighten things up,

Comment

We won't even get into the singing of Carl Lewis...

Comment

Alan Culpepper is a class act jazz pianist.

Comment

Vince Parrette, a 17.03m TJer at Kansas State some years ago was a noted jazz percussionist

Comment

I know this is totally off-topic, but oldvaulter how did you edit your post???
                    Please tell me...

Comment

>I know this is totally off-topic, but oldvaulter how did you edit your
                      >post???
                      Please tell me...

There should be an 'edit' button above any post that you make yourself. It's a function that Ben installed the other day (you missed the excitement!)

Comment

Thanks for that Jon.

Comment

In 1936 Jesse won in Berlin and blues icon Robert Johnson first recorded.......any help?

ha!

Comment

According to the booklet in the "complete recordings", his 1st session was on 23 Nov 1936, in San Antonio. His recording sessions were in San Antoino, Nov 36 and Dallas, Jun 37, then he met the devil at the crossroads.

Comment

He actually met a Haitian voodoo deity named "Legbu" not the Devil........big blues fan here!

Comment

Working...
                              X