Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100m and 200m world record holders

sorry if there is already a thread on this but i cant seem to find it, a friend asked me the other day how many other people bar bolt have heald the 100m and 200m world record at the same time, and i thought haha thats easy and then my mind went blank, i was hoping if you guys could help fill in some blanks

the first man i have on record to hold both the 100 and 200 at the same time is Willie Applegarth 10.6 in the 100m in 1912 and 21.2 in the 200m(220y) in 1914, then the next one i can think of is jesse owens and then to bolt

Re: 100m and 200m world record holders

Originally posted by LSR
    sorry if there is already a thread on this but i cant seem to find it, a friend asked me the other day how many other people bar bolt have heald the 100m and 200m world record at the same time, and i thought haha thats easy and then my mind went blank, i was hoping if you guys could help fill in some blanks

the first man i have on record to hold both the 100 and 200 at the same time is Willie Applegarth 10.6 in the 100m in 1912 and 21.2 in the 200m(220y) in 1914, then the next one i can think of is jesse owens and then to bolt
    Willie Applegarth never had an official WR 100m, but that doesn't matter. The performance will be legal. Jesse Owens never had an official WR 200m, but he sure had a 220y WR, so that's alright too. In those days you had, which lasted for still quite a while, the situation of races in meters and yards (100y, 220y up to the mile etc.)

Carl Lewis in fact also, but had his 200m WR on sea-level denied as an overall WR from that ominent altitude-WR by Pietro Mennea in autumn 1979 Mexico City.

In fact you had it right with Applegarth, Owens and Bolt.

Comment

I don't have time/resources to do precise checking whilst on the road, but I believe Williams and/or Quarrie were double-holders in the mid-70s. And Bobby Morrow in the '50s?

Comment

All those hand 10.2m's and 9.3y's start to pile up... plus besides 220 y's and 200m's, you've got straight times and turn times. Gets a bit messy.

Comment

Ralph Metcalfe
          Thane Baker
          Ray Norton

Comment

Ray Norton was the last person to hold both records before Usain Bolt, although it must be noted that Carl Lewis held low-altitude WRs in both events after his 19.75 race in 1983.

Comment

Eddie Tolan's Olympic auto times (10.38, 21.12) were 'worth' WRs, but were they fully AT? Also, Peter Radford's 10.29 (1.4w) in 1958 was worth a WR, if
              FAT. So his 20.5y in '60 would make him double wr holder, unofficially.

Comment

It's a pretty mess to sort it out as sprints for the better part of the 20th century has been complicated, while the "one half of the world with the better sprinters though" either run less than 100m (100y) or more than 200m (220y) . And of cause timing issues and not to forget altitude-aided performances.

But Stat Book Part 2 Berlin 2009 has it all in full extent.

Comment

Working...
                X