Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One-legged HJer clearing 1.92m without aid from prosthesis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FoUNuTGFzg

That makes me wonder what a top normal athlete could do with this technique - which seems be able to utilize the speed from running-up to the maximum and yet pull the body over the bar well above the centre of gravity.

As I mentioned on another thread, this "straight dive " looks exactly like what Bob Avant used in 1961 when he jumped 7 feet ( 2.13+) to win the US national title.

Comment

Steve's right. Avant's technique in the air is virtually identical. Watch the California State Meet video linked on the other thread.

Comment

Arnie Boldt (Canada), a one-legged high-jumper set the outdoor WR with 2.04 and the indoor WR with 2.08 in 1981

Comment

I was never ever a high jumper but one day in HS I did that technique while a friend was practicing and cleared 6'1". I called my technique "The Fluke".

Comment

It's not that amazing

Take an athletic young man who happens to have lost a leg in an accident. If that man decides that instead of using crutches or a wheelchair, he wants to walk by hopping on his good leg, that leg will become very strong. Then he teaches himself some technique, and the result is a 6-foot plus high jumper. There are more of these than you think.

Comment

Re: It's not that amazing

Originally posted by noone
              Take an athletic young man who happens to have lost a leg in an accident. If that man decides that instead of using crutches or a wheelchair, he wants to walk by hopping on his good leg, that leg will become very strong. Then he teaches himself some technique, and the result is a 6-foot plus high jumper. There are more of these than you think.
              How many more? At least in the developed world, I can't imagine many people doing that.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Re: It's not that amazing

Originally posted by Powell
                How many more? At least in the developed world, I can't imagine many people doing that.
                Yeah, I can't buy that. Most athletic men can't high jump 6-feet, so a 1-legged six-footer is a far outlier.

Comment

Arnie Boldt (Canada), a one-legged high-jumper set the outdoor WR with 2.04 and the indoor WR with 2.08 in 1981
                  Any video of this latter jump, a truly unbelievable achievement. Is there a woman's WR?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremyp
                    Any video of this latter jump, a truly unbelievable achievement.

I'm curious about this too. I would tend to think he had a prosthesis on the "bad" or missing side ? I cannot imagine anyone hopping to the bar and then jumping 2.04/ 6'8 1/4", much less 2.08/6'9 3/4" .

Comment

No prostheis. Very Avant-like off a hop approach.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6auGPszgiJA

Comment

I seem to remember seeing something about a foreign documentary on a one-legged high jumper. Dutch, I think, and released at least 15 years ago.

EDIT: Foolish me. I confused "Crossbar" and "Höjdhoppar'n". Both fictional too, although the former is supposedly based on the true story of someone named Aaron Kornylo who lost a leg and kept on jumping.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                          Yes, that's 1.86.... what's this deal about him doing 2.08 ??!!

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                            Originally posted by jhc68
                            Yes, that's 1.86.... what's this deal about him doing 2.08 ??!!
                            Click on this link:

http://www.sportshall.ca/accessible/hm_profile.php?i=45

Comment

clearing 2.08m at the Tribune Games in Winnipeg. In 1981, he also raised his long jump record to 3.01m.
                              My BS-meter is squawking. Was he wearing a prosthetic for a 'normal' approach? THAT I could believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X