X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's not that amazing

Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by noone
    Take an athletic young man who happens to have lost a leg in an accident. If that man decides that instead of using crutches or a wheelchair, he wants to walk by hopping on his good leg, that leg will become very strong. Then he teaches himself some technique, and the result is a 6-foot plus high jumper. There are more of these than you think.
    How many more? At least in the developed world, I can't imagine many people doing that.
    Here is another one:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... id=2225760

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
      clearing 2.08m at the Tribune Games in Winnipeg. In 1981, he also raised his long jump record to 3.01m.
      My BS-meter is squawking. Was he wearing a prosthetic for a 'normal' approach? THAT I could believe.
      That was my same point earlier. NFW anyone could hop to the bar and jump 2.08. And that is surely no knock on him doing it with an artificial leg of any sort. But to repeat.... hop to the bar and then jump 2.08 ? No way.

Comment

Yet it happened. I assume you opened the link that I posted to the Canadian Track & Field Hall of Fame. They even give the meet at which it was done. Surely you don't think they are liars?

I remember when it happended, it was a minor sensation in Canada. There was lots of talk then of Boldt improving further and maybe even making the able-bodied Canadian team for 1984. Some (dumb) commentators even said he had an advantage (!)

And yes, he hopped on one leg, like in the video.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
          Originally posted by Marlow
          clearing 2.08m at the Tribune Games in Winnipeg. In 1981, he also raised his long jump record to 3.01m.
          My BS-meter is squawking. Was he wearing a prosthetic for a 'normal' approach? THAT I could believe.
          That was my same point earlier. NFW anyone could hop to the bar and jump 2.08. And that is surely no knock on him doing it with an artificial leg of any sort. But to repeat.... hop to the bar and then jump 2.08 ? No way.
          You're thinking like an able bodied person. Arnie had a disadvantage with approach speed but had less lower body mass to get over the bar.

cman

Comment

Wow. I am more than impressed. It is absolutely amazing. Wow... again. :!:

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
              Originally posted by jhc68
              No prostheis. Very Avant-like off a hop approach.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6auGPszgiJA
              Yes, that's 1.86.... what's this deal about him doing 2.08 ??!!
              Click on this link:

http://www.sportshall.ca/accessible/hm_profile.php?i=45
              There isn't a video showing his jump of 2.04m or 2.08m, so I'm still quite skeptic. Did he finally take up a prosthesis and alter his approach?

Comment

Working...
              X