Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another argument

this argument kinda upset me yesterday. discussing whos the best male track athlete ever. and of all people this dumb athlete said allen johnson was. me personally i picked micheal johnson only because no one will ever break his records. but i also belive carl would be and good argument but i went with mike because he is from texas and hes the fastest man ever.

Re: another argument

good one...

I wonder where jesse owens would fit in this equation...

tough to pick between owens and mj...

Comment

yeah i was thinking about that also but i cant seem to compare them cause they were in different times. but that makes me think who was better wilma, flo jo, or marion on the womens side.

Comment

Love him or hate him, it's tough to top these marks:
        29' 1 1/2"

Fredrick Carlton Lewis

Comment

True those are good marks that have all been broken.

those will never be broken

MJ not jordan

Comment

well, for me it's all about winning...

Lewis is a good candidate...

Edwin Moses would be another candidate, the streak counts...

A guys like Nurmii would be on my list too.

Allen Johnson with success in August and add a WR goes on the list too.

The best women is hard, because I can't tell who was on drugs and who wasn't.

MArion's career needs validation this summer and she goes onto the female list, but I have to ponder the female side more deeply.

Comment

More guys I would add...

Jim Thorpe and Rafer Johnson and Al Oerter...

Wilam Rudolph is my current choice feamle, although Marion could supplant her.

Comment

I heard edwin was dodging people like he was on a playground playin dodge ball. Thats what i heard. I like carl i was watching his sprot centurys greatest athlete thingy damn i cant believe people hated him like that. yeah he as to be one of the best though. but MJ is styll better.

Comment

I agree with on wilma

Comment

Said Aouita, because he didn t play much dodge ball, he raced his car with the best of them, playing chicken with any competitor who would so dare.

He was the Magical Little Moroccan and had great range from 800m to 10,000m. Held WRs in the 1,500m, mile, 2,000m, 2-mile, 3,000m, and 5,000m. Add to that 1.43 800m speed and a 27.30-ish 10K during the 80s (when 26-anything was unworldy), and you have the complete athlete.

Comment

Actually 43.29 has been broken by the man himself...

Never say never about records

The thing that intrigues me about Carl is that he was so great in sprinting AND jumping. Of course we know that the LJ is a speed jump so being a great sprinter lends itself to being a great jumper, but how many athletes besides Jesse Owens and Carl Lewis have been the best at both in the Olympics.

I shudder to think what the LJ record would be had it not been for the plasticine snafu at the Sports Festival in 79.

Comment

well I cant say much about that. i just feel MJ's records will not be broken by anyone else but himself. so is it true to say its either carl or MJ the best male track athlete ever not counting the distance guys.

Comment

Don't fall into the chump statements that MJ's records will never be broken. They said the same about Jesse Owens, Beamon and a dozen others. If the records were never going to be broken we might as well just stop timing and measuring and have just pick winners without reporting marks. If one person can do it, eventually, someone else will do better.

Comment

Again, look at Said Aouita:

First class of runners under 3.30
                            First under 7.30
                            First under 13.00

Is he anywhere near the top-5 list today? Top-10? A guy who at one time had an Olympic gold medal, and six world records has fallen off of the front page and is somewhere in the memory banks of time.

Comment

yep, these times can only be run with the aid of drugs. Any blind man can see that 43.18 was a juiced-up run.

Comment

Working...
                              X