Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First American Born Olympic Champion

Today (Wednesday) marks the 107th birthday of the first American born Olympic champion in his event. This athlete won the first Olympic gold medal for Bowdoin College. In the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games, he coached the field events for the U.S. He worked at the University of Rhode Island and today the sports complex at that university bears his name. Our birthday athlete died on the day he retired from the University of Rhode Island, some 20 days after his 55th birthday. Do you know this Olympic champion with a birthday on September 9?

Hint: He was the first in his event to throw over 200 feet, however he did
    it in an exhibition performance.

Pretty sure I had a handle on it... but could not quite remember his name ... so I looked it up. I had the right guy in mind. But abiding by the "rules', I remain silent here !

Comment

"Had a handle on it".....nice clue for his event. Here are some name clues: First name is Flintstone's first name, too. Last name is two syllables. First syllable is the last word is my second sentence. Second syllable is what some people do with a secret.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
        "Had a handle on it".....nice clue for his event. Here are some name clues: First name is Flintstone's first name, too. Last name is two syllables. First syllable is the last word is my second sentence. Second syllable is what some people do with a secret.
        Pebbles TooGossip?

Comment

Close, but no cigar.

Comment

Fred Tootell, Hammer champion 1924

Comment

You got it Tomtytom! Happy birthday yesterday (Wednesday) to Fred Tootell, the first American-born Olympic gold medalist in the hammer throw. He was quite an athlete. Nice job Tomtytom.

Comment

Double R Bar...now you have me curious...what did he die of? What a bummer to die just as you are retiring...especially at such a young age.

Comment

He had a heart attack and died.

Comment

Working...
                  X