• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• said88
    replied
    Re: The Great Distance Runners

Originally posted by Powell

And I'm not convinced Gärderud had a better career record than Bronis?aw Malinowski.
    And for sure he also was Olympic champion...! I think he should be ranked ahead of Gärderud

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied

Originally posted by said88
    Gaston Roelants could be listed, I think.
    Especially factoring in World Cross Country and marathon, in addition to his track success.

Leave a comment:

• said88
    replied

Ritola was Olympic Champion in the Steeple - not so bad...

You're definitely right about Krzyszkowiak. And there are arguments for Malinowski ahead of Gärderud, for sure. But an Olympic title and some world records are on the side for Gärderud.

But as I said, only my top.10 list is where I really stand behind.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

I think I detect a bit of an anti-SC bias in your greatest ever list. Excluding Rono, who would presumably have made the list even without his steeplechase exploits, there's only two chasers in that top 30 - Kiptanui and Shaheen.
    Maybe you're right, but this listing is not made of something "analytic". I just put some names which came to my mind - the top-10 are what I'm definitely argumenting for.

Gaston Roelants could be listed, I think. And Gärderud.
    What about Zdzis?aw Krzyszkowiak? Apart from Rono and Keino, I don't think anyone else was as successful in combining SC with flat distances (at least post-WWII). Olympic champion/ WR holder at 3000SC, and European champion at 5000/10000. That's gotta be worth something.

And I'm not convinced Gärderud had a better career record than Bronis?aw Malinowski.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

And Nurmi, Ritola, Keino also had some success in the Steeple... and not to forget Aouita
    But with the exception of Keino, SC still played a minor part in their overall career record.

Leave a comment:

• said88
    replied

And Nurmi, Ritola, Keino also had some success in the Steeple... and not to forget Aouita

Leave a comment:

• said88
    replied

I think I detect a bit of an anti-SC bias in your greatest ever list. Excluding Rono, who would presumably have made the list even without his steeplechase exploits, there's only two chasers in that top 30 - Kiptanui and Shaheen.
    Maybe you're right, but this listing is not made of something "analytic". I just put some names which came to my mind - the top-10 are what I'm definitely argumenting for.

Gaston Roelants could be listed, I think. And Gärderud.

Leave a comment:

• Powell
    replied

Leave a comment:

• said88
    replied

Thanks, but I already know rhis site...

Leave a comment:

• said88
    replied

Originally posted by jhc68
    Cool site.
    Snell and Kip K in the top 10 all-time but Ryun, Walker and Scott not among the top 30?
    I'd disagree... but the site it still very nice!
    You are right, but it is almost impossible to make it a "fair" ranking... These next group of athletes which I have listed was just an attempt. Ryuns time et the top was just relatively short. I'm a big Walker fan, and he definitely could be there! Scott maybe is missing titles and records...

Leave a comment:

• Vault-emort
    replied

Maybe someone is interested in this site.
    vielleicht

Leave a comment:

replied

Hello!

I'm looking for good quality pictures from distance world record races (men). There are many on my site ( http://thegreatdistancerunners.de/Unterseite2.html ), but many are still missing. Can someone help with Nurmi, Zatopek, Puttemans, Rono...?

I even can't find a good quality picture of one of my all-time favored races of them all, Sebastian Coes 1st world record, 1:42,33 in Oslo 1979.

Thanks
    http://historiatletismo.blogspot.com/20 ... n-del.html

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

Cool site.
    Snell and Kip K in the top 10 all-time but Ryun, Walker and Scott not among the top 30?
    I'd disagree... but the site it still very nice!

Leave a comment:

• said88
    replied

Hello!

I'm looking for good quality pictures from distance world record races (men). There are many on my site ( http://thegreatdistancerunners.de/Unterseite2.html ), but many are still missing. Can someone help with Nurmi, Zatopek, Puttemans, Rono...?

I even can't find a good quality picture of one of my all-time favored races of them all, Sebastian Coes 1st world record, 1:42,33 in Oslo 1979.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• said88
    replied
    Hello!

Thanks

Leave a comment:

Working...
X