Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre's 5000m time on 5/30/75?

As I recall Steve Prefontaine won a 5000m race at Hayward field on the day that he died. I remember the time as 13:23.4...but have a bet with a friend who says it was 13:22.8...just a silly bet , but what was his time?

Re: Pre's 5000m time on 5/30/75?

Originally posted by lovetorun
    As I recall Steve Prefontaine won a 5000m race at Hayward field on the day that he died. I remember the time as 13:23.4...but have a bet with a friend who says it was 13:22.8...just a silly bet , but what was his time?
    You're both wrong. My handy copy of Tom Jordan's "Pre!" says 13:23.8.

Comment

I was there and the time was 13:23.8.

By the way he died early the next morning.

Comment

I was not there and the time was 13:23.8. I did see his penultimate race (in Modesto). I thought the 10,000 was his race.

Comment

O.K. 13:23.8 it is...thanks for the response...and, that's right he ran the race on the 24th and died early on the 25th.

The way I found out was one of the runner's from the cross-country team at San Pasqual H.S. (Escondido, CA) told me as I ws walking across the school campus on 5/25/75. Sad day....

Comment

Well we got the time right at least. However, Pre ran his last race on the 29th and died on the 30th.

Comment

Thanks Conor Dary...I missed on every fact...but now we've got it right!

Comment

The way I found out was one of the runner's from the cross-country team at San Pasqual H.S. (Escondido, CA) told me as I ws walking across the school campus on 5/25/75. Sad day....
                I think we ALL can remember exactly where we were when we heard of Pre's death.

Comment

Originally posted by runforlife
                  I think we ALL can remember exactly where we were when we heard of Pre's death.
                  Be careful. The AntiPre crowd is hovering around on another thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X