Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nominations for best and worst kit ever

Like most of you (I assume), I hate the insistence of the major shoe companies that all but a handful of their athletes wear the same vest/shorts/all-in-one, super-hero-stylee lycra monstrousity. It makes me think back fondly to the days when World Records were set by athletes wearing their local club colours (Cram sporting Jarrow yellow), another country's vest (Ovett in USSR red), a University uniform (countless products of the US collegiate system) or something misguidedly designed and stitched in their own living room (Flo Jo, Farmer-Patrick).

Best and worst? I'd nominate the All Black kit worn by Walker, Dixon and Quax and that appalling fluorescent green eyesore worn by Dennis Mitchell.

Honourable mention to wearers of great socks: Bedford, Meyfarth, Juantorena and James Robinson.

"kit" of course is a foreign word to most Americans

Comment

Re: Nominations for best and worst kit ever

Originally posted by John G
      Honourable mention to wearers of great socks: Bedford, Meyfarth, Juantorena and James Robinson.
      Contemporary Best Socks award to Reilly Kiernan of Princeton:
      http://ny.milesplit.us/articles/20522 (next to last photo).

On the other hand, one imagines the Wicked Witch of the West chasing people!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        "kit" of course is a foreign word to most Americans
        So, I've provided you with a stimulating topic for discussion and added to the lexicon of your little country.

Please feel free to change it to uniform or whatever you deem appropriate.

Reminds me of an occasion when I was arguing over a point of grammar with a Texan from my firm's Mergers and Acquisition team over in Dublin to offer an obscenely inflated price for a software house. In frustration, I was reduced "Well, we did invent the bloody language, you know." To which he replied, "Yeah, but we refined it."

Comment

Re: Nominations for best and worst kit ever

Best? I'd nominate the All Black kit worn by Walker, Dixon and Quax
          Totally agree. I also loved the 60s West German one with the eagle in the yellow circle with the red stripe. Also the 60/64/68 USA Oly uniforms. But my all-time fave is the UCLA of the late 60s/early 70s with Smith and Collett. Can't find an image on-line, but the pale blue jerseys with gold piping and white shorts with gold/blue trim were tres cool!

Comment

To which he replied, "Yeah, but we refined it."
            Actually, the US version of things might be closer to the original. Their use of Z for spelling the siffix "ize", for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              To which he replied, "Yeah, but we refined it."
              Actually, the US version of things might be closer to the original. Their use of Z for spelling the siffix "ize", for example.
              ... except when the whole suffix is appended entirely gratuitously - as in "burglarize" instead of the simpler and quite sufficient "burgle".

Comment

Originally posted by berkeley
                ... except when the whole suffix is appended entirely gratuitously...
                There are problems with the American version too

Comment

Best: New Zealand's all black kit with a big silver fern right on the chest.
                  Worst: The swedish kit worn by the likes of Patrik Sjoberg at the 1992 Olympics was an absolute monstrosity!

Comment

I've never seen anything more monstrous than the Hungarians in Beijing.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

How about the ones worn by U.S. teammembers @ the 1988 Olympics?

Comment

Anyone remember Kansas' uni's back in the 60's ? They were LOUD.

Comment

I particularly disliked the full body suits. Cathy Freeman in Sydney comes immediately to mind.

Comment

the atlanta reebok outfits were pretty rubbish, especially mutola's mozambique colours!

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                              Anyone remember Kansas' uni's back in the 60's ? They were LOUD.
                              You aint lying!

phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X