Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who was the first Jewish sub-4:00 miler?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who was the first Jewish sub-4:00 miler?

not a thought that had ever crossed my mind before, but the answer popped up in this piece I saw today:

http://www.thejc.com/sport/sport-news/l ... re-running

All I know is that in the Sea of Galilee 5K in 27AD, Jesus ran the last mile in 3:42, but there was a protest that he may have cut some of the course that went around an inlet of the Sea.

Comment

Does walking on water count as racewalking or swimming?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        All I know is that in the Sea of Galilee 5K in 27AD, Jesus ran the last mile in 3:42, but there was a protest that he may have cut some of the course that went around an inlet of the Sea.
        Coincidence: he was also the first Christian sub-4 miler.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          It was a bi-athlon?

Comment

Nobody whose last name starts with X has ever run a sub-4:00 miler. Who's the fastest?

Comment

Malcolm X?

Comment

Interesting piece written by the man in question (the first Jewish sub-4:00). Talks about his training. Scroll 2/3 down:

http://www.observergroup.net/ob153back/sports.htm

Comment

And another blurb:

http://www.etsi.jp/rayroseman.html

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                    Coincidence: he was also the first Christian sub-4 miler.
                    I've often thought that Jesus would have been appalled to find out there was a 'cult' named after him. He and his buds were Jewish through and through.

Comment

Not to be disrespectful, but if the religion were named after him, its followers would be Jesusians, no?

As I recall, the word "Christ" was Greek, and perhaps a word he himself had never heard?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        As I recall, the word "Christ" was Greek, and perhaps a word he himself had never heard?

Correct. "Christ" was not part of His name(which of course was actually the hebrew Yeshua, or Y'shua)
                        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          Not to be disrespectful, but if the religion were named after him, its followers would be Jesusians, no? As I recall, the word "Christ" was Greek, and perhaps a word he himself had never heard?
                          Not to belabor the obvious, but his later followers knew him to be the 'Christ' (the anointed one), therefore it was indeed named after him.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Nobody whose last name starts with X has ever run a sub-4:00 miler. Who's the fastest?
                            Charles XMas? :-)

Comment

Yes, with credit to T&FN Publisher Ed Fox for coming up with that line decades ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X