Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best ever Track/Field Athletes from THESE high schools #1

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by cullman
    Originally posted by dj
    Is there anybody left out there who hasn't disqualified himself and is still working with clues?
    me?
    Get in there. We have to finish this one so we can move on to the next round!

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by gm
      Given the clues you provided, the only way I can see a fit is if Mal Whitfield or Mel Sheppard went to high school at one of those places. I have no idea, but I thought Whitfield was from Bay City, TX, so...???
      Give me specific names with specific places, unless you've DQed yourself !!!

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by dj
        Nah, it's not too difficult to find the people on the internet.
        A real quick and dirty search gave me the answer to only one of the three. I'm still scratching my head on the others. No time to go hunting.

        Comment


        • #49
          One of the people is a woman.

          Another was an Olympic women's head coach.

          Comment


          • #50
            Well I'll be darned. Just had an idea as to where I might find the distance runner. I was wrong about that but the first place I looked led me to the high jumper.

            I'm now completely confused because from what I know and what I've tried to make of the clues, they don't add up.

            Comment


            • #51
              All three competed in their last Olympics more than 50 years ago.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by dj
                Originally posted by dj
                Time for clues for the remaining three athletes who went to these schools:

                Brown Prep (Philadelphia, PA)
                Haverford HS (Havertown, PA)
                Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL)

                As high schoolers, the three were a sprinter, a distance runner and a high jumper.
                Another clue: As Olympians, these three athletes accounted for eight medals: three in the middle distances, one in the high jump, two in the shot put, and two in the relays.
                It can only be Mel Sheppard...wasn't he Bruno Hauptmann's lawyer...just kidding!

                Originally posted by dj
                One of the people is a woman.

                Another was an Olympic women's head coach.
                Say What??

                Originally posted by dj
                All three competed in their last Olympics more than 50 years ago.
                That clinches Jim Fuchs...unless you're tricking us because Ralph Rose has a more than two! Was Jim Fuchs a sprinter in high school?

                That leaves us (me, am I the only one left playing?) with a woman high jumper.
                Going to assume she is a gold medal winner. Alice Coachman and Mildred McDaniel are from the South...so that means it must be Ethel Catherwood. Just kidding! I'm tossing my lot in with Jean Shiley! Was she a sprinter in high school?

                cman

                Comment


                • #53
                  Nice try, cullman. But you've got to match a name to a school before I even confirm that the names are right!

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Final Answer (maybe not!):
                    Brown Prep (Philadelphia, PA) - Mel Sheppard
                    Haverford HS (Havertown, PA) - Jim Fuchs
                    Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL) - Jean Shiley

                    cman

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by cullman
                      Final Answer (maybe not!):
                      Brown Prep (Philadelphia, PA) - Mel Sheppard
                      Haverford HS (Havertown, PA) - Jim Fuchs
                      Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL) - Jean Shiley

                      cman
                      cullman picks up 18 points with Brown Prep's Mel Sheppard (class of '05).

                      But that's two incorrect answers so the game's still afoot!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Haverford HS (Havertown, PA) - Jean Shiley??
                        Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL) - Jim Fuchs??

                        cman

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by cullman
                          Haverford HS (Havertown, PA) - Jean Shiley??
                          Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL) - Jim Fuchs??

                          cman
                          BINGO! The last two, for 39 points and the win.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by dj
                            BINGO! The last two, for 39 points and the win.
                            Phew, bring on the next game! :-P

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by dj
                              Originally posted by dj
                              Time for clues for the remaining three athletes who went to these schools:

                              Brown Prep (Philadelphia, PA)
                              Haverford HS (Havertown, PA)
                              Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL)

                              As high schoolers, the three were a sprinter, a distance runner and a high jumper.
                              Another clue: As Olympians, these three athletes accounted for eight medals: three in the middle distances, one in the high jump, two in the shot put, and two in the relays.

                              Explaining the clues on their high school careers:

                              Mel Sheppard was a distance runner in high school, setting national interscholastic records in the mile and 2 mile (both in 1905), and national indoor records in the 880 and mile (both in 1904).

                              Jean Shiley was the high jumper, and set a world indoor record in the high jump as a high school senior in 1929.

                              Jim Fuchs was Illinois state champ in the 100(!) in 1945. He later hurt a leg badly enough so that he turned to the shot put while he was at Yale.

                              And as Olympians:
                              Shiley, of course, won the 1932 OG high jump. In 1928 she was on the first U.S. Olympic women's team.

                              The coach of that team was the coach of the Millrose A.A., Mel Sheppard. In 1908, Sheppard won the 1500 and the 800, the latter with a world record. In 1912, Sheppard finished 2nd in the 800.

                              Jim Fuchs, the high school sprinter, won bronze medals in the shot in both '48 and '52.

                              I figured the clues regarding a high school sprinter and someone winning two medals in the relays would confuse the issue. In fact, it was Sheppard who won the relay medals, anchoring the winning sprint medley relay in 1908, and leading off the winning 4x400 in 1912.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by dj
                                Originally posted by cullman
                                Haverford HS (Havertown, PA) - Jean Shiley??
                                Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL) - Jim Fuchs??

                                cman
                                BINGO! The last two, for 39 points and the win.
                                I'll start another batch of 20 high schools tomorrow morning, enough time for dukehjsteve to sharpen his pencil!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X