Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davidokun
    replied
    Thanks, that gives me a better idea of your criteria, which may, or may not, help me better prepare for the next round.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by Davidokun
    Congratulations, cullman. Well played, sir.

Now that it's over, I have a question for dj. Would you also have accepted Kevin Young for Jordan HS?
    Not only would I have accepted Kevin Young, but that's the person I was thinking of to begin with. But you caught me with the better answer!

You'll notice I didn't include other schools with multiple greats: East Tech (Cleveland, OH), Poly (Long Beach, CA), Tulare (CA), Mercersburg Academy (PA) among them. We'll play with them later.

Leave a comment:

• Davidokun
    replied
    Congratulations, cullman. Well played, sir.

Now that it's over, I have a question for dj. Would you also have accepted Kevin Young for Jordan HS?

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    I figured the clues regarding a high school sprinter and someone winning two medals in the relays would confuse the issue. In fact, it was Sheppard who won the relay medals, anchoring the winning sprint medley relay in 1908, and leading off the winning 4x400 in 1912.
    My brain is in a constant state of confusion so the clues helped put me on the right track...that and gm throwing a big fat hint over the plate in a previous post.

cman

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by cullman
    Haverford HS (Havertown, PA) - Jean Shiley??
    Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL) - Jim Fuchs??

cman
    BINGO! The last two, for 39 points and the win.
    I'll start another batch of 20 high schools tomorrow morning, enough time for dukehjsteve to sharpen his pencil!

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by dj
    Time for clues for the remaining three athletes who went to these schools:

Brown Prep (Philadelphia, PA)
    Haverford HS (Havertown, PA)
    Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL)

As high schoolers, the three were a sprinter, a distance runner and a high jumper.
    Another clue: As Olympians, these three athletes accounted for eight medals: three in the middle distances, one in the high jump, two in the shot put, and two in the relays.

Explaining the clues on their high school careers:

Mel Sheppard was a distance runner in high school, setting national interscholastic records in the mile and 2 mile (both in 1905), and national indoor records in the 880 and mile (both in 1904).

Jean Shiley was the high jumper, and set a world indoor record in the high jump as a high school senior in 1929.

Jim Fuchs was Illinois state champ in the 100(!) in 1945. He later hurt a leg badly enough so that he turned to the shot put while he was at Yale.

And as Olympians:
    Shiley, of course, won the 1932 OG high jump. In 1928 she was on the first U.S. Olympic women's team.

The coach of that team was the coach of the Millrose A.A., Mel Sheppard. In 1908, Sheppard won the 1500 and the 800, the latter with a world record. In 1912, Sheppard finished 2nd in the 800.

Jim Fuchs, the high school sprinter, won bronze medals in the shot in both '48 and '52.

I figured the clues regarding a high school sprinter and someone winning two medals in the relays would confuse the issue. In fact, it was Sheppard who won the relay medals, anchoring the winning sprint medley relay in 1908, and leading off the winning 4x400 in 1912.

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Phew, bring on the next game! :-P

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

cman

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied

cman

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Final Answer (maybe not!):
    Brown Prep (Philadelphia, PA) - Mel Sheppard
    Haverford HS (Havertown, PA) - Jim Fuchs
    Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL) - Jean Shiley

cman
    cullman picks up 18 points with Brown Prep's Mel Sheppard (class of '05).

But that's two incorrect answers so the game's still afoot!

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Final Answer (maybe not!):
    Brown Prep (Philadelphia, PA) - Mel Sheppard
    Haverford HS (Havertown, PA) - Jim Fuchs
    Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL) - Jean Shiley

cman

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Nice try, cullman. But you've got to match a name to a school before I even confirm that the names are right!

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by dj
    Time for clues for the remaining three athletes who went to these schools:

Brown Prep (Philadelphia, PA)
    Haverford HS (Havertown, PA)
    Hyde Park Academy HS (Chicago, IL)

As high schoolers, the three were a sprinter, a distance runner and a high jumper.
    Another clue: As Olympians, these three athletes accounted for eight medals: three in the middle distances, one in the high jump, two in the shot put, and two in the relays.
    It can only be Mel Sheppard...wasn't he Bruno Hauptmann's lawyer...just kidding!

Originally posted by dj
    One of the people is a woman.

Another was an Olympic women's head coach.
    Say What??

Originally posted by dj
    All three competed in their last Olympics more than 50 years ago.
    That clinches Jim Fuchs...unless you're tricking us because Ralph Rose has a more than two! Was Jim Fuchs a sprinter in high school?

That leaves us (me, am I the only one left playing?) with a woman high jumper.
    Going to assume she is a gold medal winner. Alice Coachman and Mildred McDaniel are from the South...so that means it must be Ethel Catherwood. Just kidding! I'm tossing my lot in with Jean Shiley! Was she a sprinter in high school?

cman

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    All three competed in their last Olympics more than 50 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    Well I'll be darned. Just had an idea as to where I might find the distance runner. I was wrong about that but the first place I looked led me to the high jumper.

I'm now completely confused because from what I know and what I've tried to make of the clues, they don't add up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X