Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 years ago today--Billy Mills

A link to my personal remembrance of Billy Mills' victory in Tokyo is on the front page.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/dis...e.php?id=37328

You were what ,15-16years old? traveling halfway across the globe was a really big deal then.
    Tom Hyland:
    "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

The next day, at Track/CC practice at Duke, Coach Al Buehler had written an inspirational message on the Team Bulletin Board about this momentous event. Anyone else remember anything ? I did not see it live on TV. Did anyone ? Was it on live ? Doubtful due to time difference.

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle
        You were what ,15-16years old? traveling halfway across the globe was a really big deal then.
        Little older than that. I was working on Wall Street at the time (right out of HS) and making about $70 a week. Not sure how I scraped the money together for the plane ticket alone, but it was the only good investment I made during my time in the financial world.

Comment

It's funny how some people forget about "Running Brave" when naming sports/T&F oriented movies. It was very enjoyable for me. Especially the great job Graham Greene did as the bitter neighbor/cousin/whatever; the character nicely showed that predjudice and cynicism knows no color.

Comment

I was 34 years old, busy living life and did not go to Tokyo.. I don't think it was live but I did watch the race without knowing the result in advance. I was the well site geologist on a drilling well in Comanche County, Ks, Wes Santee country.. Serendipitously, the crew had to trip the drill pipe for a bit change. I snuck in the 70 mile RT to watch the Olympics on a small b/w TV in an oil field cafe in Medicine Lodge, Kansas. The assembled farmers and ranchers went crazy.
            The well, as I recall, turned out to be a pretty good gas well.

Comment

On this day in 1964, I was in college. I almost went to Tokyo, but because I would have to miss some important classes, I didn't go. I did tape all of those Olympics off a television in our dorm. Of course it was just the audio in those days, but I do have that 10,000 on tape. I still play it every once-in-awhile. Cordner Nelson said his voice will never be the same after that race.

Comment

From the fornt page article.

'Most of that first day was filled with qualifying rounds (Bob Hayes won his heat and 1/4-final in the men’s 100-meters), but there was one running final--the men’s 10,000-meters....'

October 14, 1964 was also the day on which Mary Rand became the first British woman to win an Olympic gold medal in track and field when she won the long jump title with a world record leap of 6.76m.

This is a staggering omission from the article. How can a historic triumph and a world record performance not even be worth mentioning?

Comment

Unlike most, I remember being quite disappointed that day (start of my senior year of HS). Gerry Lindgren was from 125 miles down the road, and Spokane TV was all that we got, so I had intense "geographic pride" in his accomplishments, and after he had beaten the dreaded commies earlier in the summer, I knew the gold just had to be his.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake
                    October 14, 1964 was also the day on which Mary Rand became the first British woman to win an Olympic gold medal in track and field when she won the long jump title with a world record leap of 6.76m.
                    This is a staggering omission from the article. How can a historic triumph and a world record performance not even be worth mentioning?
                    TFN did not cover women's athletics at that point in time.

I was a junior in high school, and a fellow track team member told me about it at church on Sunday morning. Not sure if it was live on tv, but probably shown on the Wide World of Sports the next Sat? Remember seeing the pictures of the race in Life magazine the next issue.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Unlike most, I remember being quite disappointed that day (start of my senior year of HS). Gerry Lindgren was from 125 miles down the road, and Spokane TV was all that we got, so I had intense "geographic pride" in his accomplishments, and after he had beaten the dreaded commies earlier in the summer, I knew the gold just had to be his.
                      Me too...I think Lindgren ended up 9th, even with an injured ankle. If he had been healthy, he would have been in the battle with Clarke, Gamoudi and Mills on that last lap.

Comment

Re: 45 years ago today--Billy Mills

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
                        A link to my personal remembrance of Billy Mills' victory in Tokyo is on the front page.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/dis...e.php?id=37328
                        Very fine account.

A moment in track, running, and U.S. History.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QaDQL0rMWw

GREAT race, great finish and you gotta love the call by the broadcasters......

Amazing piece of T&F history....

Comment

Can't remember all the details, but wasn't one of the announcers let go because of his "over enthusiasm" at calling the end of the race?

Comment

Originally posted by harvtrack
                              Can't remember all the details, but wasn't one of the announcers let go because of his "over enthusiasm" at calling the end of the race?
                              As gh noted before, it was Dick Bank going bongers at the end, interrupting Brad Palmer, who hadn't noticed Mills coming up.

Comment

Working...
                              X