Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerry Lindgren.

Lindgren has got to be one of the greatest enigma's in US distance running history. Ran incredibly well for a few years then, not only dropped off the running map but off the world map...kind of went awol from life. I heard he got married once and then divorced and disappeared...eventually popping up in Hawaii. Does anyone have any other info re: Gerry?

Re: Gerry Lindgren.

As I remember it, he split without bothering with a divorce. I have no idea of his whereabouts. EGH
    may have some insights. I think they were teammates at Wazoo. Not that would give someone an insight into Lindgren. Weird hombre, he.

Comment

Knock yourself out:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=U ... gle+Search

This is fairly recent:

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300 ... 24,00.html

Comment

Incredible talent, obviously. As a high schooler, he ran an indoor 2 mile in 8:40.0 when the WR was only a few seconds faster... It would be like a HS kid today running it in 8:10. His performances in '64 & '65 were truly remarkable. I have to assume that he ultimately trained himself out of shape with those ridiculous 350 mile weeks that we've all read about. For years I regretted never having seen him run, but I recently "discovered" that I HAD seen him at least once, somewhat near his peak: he won the 2 mile in the Feb. 1968 meet in NYC in which Ryun ran 3:57.5. (Ryun was so God-like that everything else that night was thrown completely in the shade.)

Comment

>Lindgren has got to be one of the greatest enigma's in US distance running
          >history. Ran incredibly well for a few years ...>>

A few years?! He made headlines/rankings in T&FN over a 10-year span, from his junior year in high school ('63) through '72. Few Americans have ever had a LONGER career!

Comment

Garry --
            Thanks for reminding us about GL's career -- I think you've done that before on here. For some reason GL is often remembered as some sort of "one season wonder." That said, I'm not entirely familiar with GL's career. I know about his HS & collegiate careers, and his 64 OG, but I don't really know what his condition and performances were at the 68 OG trials, or if he even participated in the 72 trials. Can you fill us in on those things?

Comment

Lindgren did run in both the '68 and '72 Trials. In '68, he barely missed a place in the 5000--getting 4th just 0.4 secs behind 3rd. He also placed 5th in the 10,000, one place behind Billy Mills. In '72, he got 12th in the 5000 and DNFed in the 10,000.

Comment

I think I know where Gerry Lindgren is!!!! I was walking through the men's bathroom at Ala Moana Center in Honolulu the other day and I happened to look at the mirror running the whole length of the wall, and there he was. Can you imagine the surprise on my face (and on his too) when I recognized him?

He will soon have a web sight up (key word Gerry Lindgren) and I think it will be possible to contact him there.

Comment

>I think I know where Gerry Lindgren is!!!! I was walking through the men's
                  >bathroom at Ala Moana Center in Honolulu the other day and I happened to look
                  >at the mirror running the whole length of the wall, and there he was. Can you
                  >imagine the surprise on my face (and on his too) when I recognized him?

He
                  >will soon have a web sight up (key word Gerry Lindgren) and I think it will be
                  >possible to contact him there.

Is this for real...or is someone just having fun?

Comment

Gerry Lindgren (me) did indeed pop up in Hawaii. He can be reached at [email protected].

Comment

350 miles weeks. When - what weeks, in what year? What was the daily break-out?

Comment

http://www.iau.org.tw/statistics/statis ... ERFORMANCE

300+ miles????? Heck, Yiannis Kouros can almost do that in do that in 48 hours.

Comment

>Gerry Lindgren (me) did indeed pop up in Hawaii. He can be reached at
                          >[email protected]>>

That's not the address I have for Gerry, so may be a fraud, although the earlier post from "Gerry" about seeing himself in a mirror shrieks out his sense of humor.

Comment

<350 miles weeks>

That is just about 2 marathons/day, every day. Isn't it rather absurd?
                            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>>Gerry Lindgren (me) did indeed pop up in Hawaii. He can be reached
                              >at
                              >[email protected]>>

Although it is a legit AOL address, whoever owns it hasn't filled in their Member Profile.

Comment

Working...
                              X