Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gerry Lindgren.

The current issue of Runner's World has a fascinating feature story on Gerry. Sounds like a troubled fellow. Or at the very least, mighty enigmatic.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

>The current issue of Runner's World has a fascinating feature story on Gerry.
      >Sounds like a troubled fellow. Or at the very least, mighty enigmatic.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... sage=66336

Comment

I was at Oregon State in 1968. The Pac-8 Northern Division meet was in Corvallis that year. The University of Oregon had three incredible sub-4 minute milers that year: Dave Wilborn (3:56), Roscoe Devine (3:57), and Arne Kvalheim (3:58). Kvalheim moved up to the three-mile that day so he could "beat" Lindgren, who was coming back from an injury (motorcycle accident as I recall). Lindgren looked pasty and heavy and in not-very-good shape. However, with 660 yards to go he was a couple strides ahead of Kvalheim, who signaled to Coach Bowerman that everything was going according to plan. He made his move on Lindgren on that turn, whereupon Lindgren took off on what amounted to a 660-yard sprint. When Lindgren crossed the finish line a lap and a half later, Kvalheim was just entering the final straightaway. Pasty? Heavy? Out of shape? According to what plan? Lindgren was amazing.

Comment

>The current issue of Runner's World has a fascinating feature story on Gerry.
          >Sounds like a troubled fellow. Or at the very least, mighty enigmatic.

Very. I read the article the other day and it was quite disturbing. I thought that the RW author did a great job on this one. His life would probably make a pretty good movie, if you could somehow sort out the truth from lies and hallucinations. I feel very sorry for his ex-wife and children.

Comment

Everyone should read that-especially the RW bashers. It's very good. The "Never heard of me!" line is awfully
            reminiscent of the GL post here:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... sage=49209

Do people think he belongs in the HoF?

Comment

Yes, this article IS excellent--fascinating, disturbing, insightful, etc. It prompted me to buy my first copy of RW (which has, obviously, simply become a "lifestyle" mag) in about 8 years. Does Lindgren belong in the HoF? OF COURSE he does!

Comment

>Gerry Lindgren (me) did indeed pop up in Hawaii. He can be reached at
                >[email protected]

So the real Gerry Lindgren should be able to answer the following questions:

In the winter of 1979, you won an outdoor race at the UW staged during an indoor meet at Hec Edmundsen. What was the distance and what was your time.

You were managing a running shoe store at the time. What was the name and where was it located?

We met through a mutual friend at the time, Bruce Blizard. Where did he work then (a general description counts) and what is his wife's name?

You don't have to answer all of these questions correctly, but you should be able to get close.

Comment

Just read a review of(and ordered) Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets Lost the most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time by David Edmonds and John Eidinow and it hit me that GL and BF remind me of each other for a whole pile of reasons.

Comment

>Just read a review of(and ordered) Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How the Soviets
                    >Lost the most Extraordinary Chess Match of All Time by David Edmonds and John
                    >Eidinow and it hit me that GL and BF remind me of each other for a whole pile
                    >of reasons.

I read an article on Fischer last year in the Atlantic Monthly. I also met Lindgren a few years ago and got to know him, at least as an aquaintance. Fischer is driven by loneliness and even hate based on that article. Lindgren doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Fischer is absolutley brilliant, to the point of paranoia. Lindgren is a simpler man who was perhaps too trusing at times.

Comment

I was really comparing their battles with the Russians which they are both famous for and their eccentric behaviour generally rather than how it specifically manifested itself. They also both "disappeared" so to speak. Not to mention that they both had success at an early age.

Comment

I met and spoke with Gerry when he showed up at the Maui Mile back in 1988. I was the official starter. Strangely enough, he still ran with the same strange style - bunched arms crossing his body and short, fast steps. I remember when he first ran at Madison Square Garden back in the day. They gave him a box of flowers which he spread around the track after obliterating a two-mile field.

Comment

The (Some Oriental thing; gave a samari helmet as a prize; supposed to go to a race inJapan too but got zapped out of it so a guy from Club NW could go) Games Close enough??

StinkyFoot

Snow Blizzard (how should I know?)

Comment

You guys will believe anything!
                            Is Runner's World certified to judge mental competence?
                            If your ex got a chance to speak would she give an impartial truth?
                            No wonder America doesn't produce good distance runners any more. You guys hound and criticise and condemn anything out of the ordinary. Do you really think an ordinary person can change the world? I have never know a good runner who was not wierd and unusual because you HAVE to be wierd to do the impossible. Crazy, hell. You guys will believe anything!

Comment

If your ex got a chance to speak would she give an
                              >impartial truth?

Good point.

I have
                              >never know a good runner who was not wierd and unusual because you HAVE to be
                              >wierd to do the impossible.

Also a good point. Said the same thing to Kurt Francis on another thread.

Comment

yep that is Gerry's e-mail address...the gerrythejogger-email...

and although the story in Runners World seems interesting...then I felt it was strange how they finally write about running history, but then not focusing on the running part...

Comment

Working...
                                X