• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5k Guy
    replied
    Re: WR range

"On the mens side- Is Steve's Jesse Owens answer correct or not?"

Note that in the original post at the top of the thread I stated "I do not know the answers", I was curious and wanted to ask this knowledgeable board to help me with the answers.

I do THINK Steve is correct with his Jesse Owens answer for regulary held Olympic T&F events.

Leave a comment:

• bf
    replied

I think it is, for official WRs. There have been unratified/questionable marks that were 'unbettered' for longer periods.

Leave a comment:

• Per Andersen
    replied

On the mens side- Is Steve's Jesse Owens answer correct or not?

Leave a comment:

• misterp
    replied

My first T&FN trip was to the 1987 Worlds in Rome. That was also my first big, world-class meet (other than the US-USSR meet at UC Berkeley - in 1978, I think). I remember watching two world records in about a 10-minute span - first, Ben Johnson ran 9.8-something, and a few minutes later Kostadinova jumped 6' 10-1/4". I remember thinking, hey, this is cool. I've since come to learn that it's unusual to see two performances like that in a single day.

Anyway, Kostadinova's record is 14 years old and looks safe for the foreseeable future. She was jumping until a few years ago - I wonder what she's doing now.

Leave a comment:

• trackhead
    replied

Sure it's not run as often as the 1500m, but it's still there. If a country has enough talent, they could enter a meet and get it. I think Kenya could smash it if they get the guys together and send them to a big relay meet. Kenya vs. the World?

Wolhuter's 1000m AR is 30 years old this year.

Leave a comment:

• bf
    replied

(I meant 'total' span, including regaining WR)

Leave a comment:

• spvxv0
    replied

>>Longest span of WRs might be Koch/400m - from July '78 to present.<<<

There was a gap between 83-85 when Koch didn't have the WR- Jarmila's 47.99 in 83'WC

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied

><so is my original answer of Owens' 26' 8.25'LJ from 1935 to 1960, slightly
    >over 25 years, still holding up as the possible correct answer>

It is, but
    >the original question required "uninterruped OG's".

No, he said "continually held Olympic event"; (whatever that means....)

Leave a comment:

• Track fan
    replied

The 4X8 is a joke that's run once a year, it's like the medlay relays.......

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<so is my original answer of Owens' 26' 8.25'LJ from 1935 to 1960, slightly over 25 years, still holding up as the possible correct answer>

It is, but the original question required "uninterruped OG's".

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied

so is my original answer of Owens' 26' 8.25'LJ from 1935 to 1960, slightly over 25 years, still holding up as the possible correct answer ?!

Leave a comment:

• trackhead
    replied

This summer the Mens 4x800m WR will reach 24 yrs.

Leave a comment:

• bf
    replied

Kratochvilova's 800, coming up on 21 years. Longest span of WRs might be Koch/400m - from July '78 to present. And for men, Syedikh?(May 1980--)

Leave a comment:

• bf
    replied

Grete Waitz had 3K & Marathon, but not simultaneously ('76 and 78, but lost 3K record in 76)

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

A clarification on W.G. George. According to the 1885 record lists, he held the fastest amateur time for the mile (4:18-2/5) and for 11-1/2 miles (59:51-1/2) and, of course, a ton of distances in between. However, at that time, the "WR" for the mile was the pro mark of William Cummings (4:16-1/5) and a number of the "WR"s for the longer distances were also pro marks (for example at 11 miles: 56:52 by Deerfoot; 57:09-3/5 by George).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X