Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JC sprinters question: I might substitute Clyde Jeffrey (Riverside JC) for Miller or Williams.

Comment

Didn't Mo Greene run for a JC?

Comment

Originally posted by billthedog
        JC sprinters question: I might substitute Clyde Jeffrey (Riverside JC) for Miller or Williams.
        I have a hard time when their times are that different. Yes I understand that in the 40's Jeffreys was at a big disadvantage vs what Miller/Williams faced but a 9.4 vs a 9.9ish....hmmmm?

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
          Didn't Mo Greene run for a JC?
          I've wondered that myself. From what I gather he went there (like his older brother Ernest a 10.2ish guy) but for some reason didn't run.

Anyone have anything on this?

Comment

http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/oldB ... aurice.asp

(See 1994 entry.)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              http://www.usatf.org/athletes/bios/oldBios/2006/Greene_Maurice.asp

(See 1994 entry.)
              I'm guessing the injury kept him from running for KCCC. I've never seen..

Mo Greene KCCC in any results.

Comment

The first time I heard Mo Green's name was over the PA at 1995 Texas Relays announcing his winning 100m.. I think he was announced as from a Kansas City Juco connection. Or maybe the word of his affiliation just circulated. No one in the long jump pit had ever heard of him.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                  The first time I heard Mo Green's name was over the PA at 1995 Texas Relays announcing his winning 100m.. I think he was announced as from a Kansas City Juco connection.
                  Tonight sometime I'll track that down from the pages of T&FN. I've always wanted to include him as a former JCer.

Comment

I'm quite certain Greene never competed for KCCC.

He was a "reclamation" of Bill Carson and the USATF sprint development committee. The committee tracked the top 20 high school seniors for several years to make certain they knew where the top talent had gone and what they were doing.

Greene wasn't running and apparently had vanished. Carson (or someone within the committee) talked him into resuming training, paid his air to Texas, and things took off.

Comment

I have a vague recollection that the first time I ever saw him, he was running in the indoor Nationals one of the years they were in Atlanta and he was listed as KCCC.

Comment

If I find nothing in 94-96 that says...Mo Greene KCCC...I'll have to go with no he was a never a JC sprinter.

Comment

I am willing to concede Greene may never have run representing KCCC. The connection may be purely background and anecdotal.

Comment

I'm about ready to concede as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/1995/05/21/sport ... light.html

His education is being paid for by Project Choice, an program for youths from low-income families started by Ewing Kauffman, the late owner of baseball's Kansas City Royals. This gives Greene certain freedoms; for one thing, he does not have to compete for the track team at Kansas City (Kan.) Community College. Instead, he trains with his former Amateur Athletic Union coach, Al Hobson, and runs when he wants and where he wants.

Comment

I don't believe KCCC ever competed at JUCO Nationals (indoor or out) as they did not conform to elgibility requirements.

Comment

It may be that his brother Ernest was the JCer

Comment

Working...
                                X