Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can marlies win anything she's not even in the top 10 100m runners ever remember
    :P :roll:
    i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
      How can marlies win anything she's not even in the top 10 100m runners ever remember
      :P :roll:
      HEY! I ranked her 7th, if you're referring to my all-time list! How soon people forget...

Comment

Cooky Montoza praised Szewinska, but did miss her best perfomace, which was winning the '74 EC in 11.13 - into a 1.2 wind. Turn the wind around and she runs 10.99 ahead of Stecher 11.09. She also walloped Richter and Wöckel that day. Not bad for someone who'd won 2 sprint medals at the OG 10 years earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by rhymans
          Cooky Monzta praised Szewinska, but did miss her best perfomace, which was winning the '74 EC in 11.13 - into a 1.2 wind. Turn the wind around and she runs 10.99 ahead of Stecher 11.09. She also walloped Richter and Wöckel that day. Not bad for someone who'd won 2 sprint medals at the OG 10 years earlier.
          100m Irena Szewińska (POL) 11.13 (EMR) Renate Stecher (GDR) 11.23 Andrea Lynch (GBR) 11.28

I knew she had to be faster in the 100. How I spotted her 22.21 and completely overlooked that 11.13 in her bios, I don't know. Maybe it's because we always thought of her as being primarily a 200/400 runner in the 1970s, when she was still running fast 100s.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
            For Rob and Gabriella, a two-part question:

As selectors for the all-time German team, which three sprinters do you take?
            A) based on career merit;
            B) based on maximum potential.
            For me

A) Gohr, Stecher, Richter
            B) Gohr, Drechsler, Koch

On career merit you have to go for World & Olympic gold medalists and WR holders.
            On maximum potential, Gohr because even though I think she reached hers, this was and would be still greater than most. In ideal conditions she may have run sub 10.8.
            Drechsler because, despite the LJ being her her focus, she still had 11 runs under 11 legally (2nd only to Gohr in GDR) , had a better win-loss record than her GDR peers at the time. She medalled at Olympics and world championships (and set two 100y records indoors) despite having the worst start ever.
            Koch, because, like HD she focussed on other events yet still ran 10.83. Her 50m records & 60m times she she could have done something special over 100m too.

As an aside, since the introduction of the world champs in 83 very few women can boast medals in both the worlds and Olympics at 100m (US included in this one):

Gohr (80 & 83)
            Ottey (87, 91, 93, 95, 96...00)
            Drechsler (87 & 88)
            Privalova (92 & 95)
            Devers (92, 93 & 96)
            Torrance (91, 93, 95, 96)
            VCB (04, 05, 07)
            Williams (04, 05, 07)
            Fraser (08 & 09)
            Stewart (08 & 09)
            and Thanou if we count 00.

Comment