Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Southern

Warren Wells ran track at TSU but it was his ability to catch the long ball that gave the Oakland Raiders the origins of their .....the vertical attack. Story goes he was a 9.4 man (have never seen that listed but he had some jets). Then there was Homer Jones another 9.4 guy (9.3?) who would originate the spike in the NFL. He also beat Bob Hayes in an NAIA 200 once upon a time. Willie Ellison another Flying Tiger was a 1000 yd rusher with the Rams. 00 Ken Burrough a stud receiver with the Houston Oilers.

I know, what's with the football "here?" Just showing what that school has among it's alum. It also had Jimmy Hines histories first sub10.00 man. As we know he won that 68 Olympic 100m, then in 72 another TSUer would take the silver when Robert Taylor chased Borzov. Theodius Bush being their first "national caliber" sprinter back in the mid 50's. Ralph Alpaugh a 9.4 man in 1960. There was also Charles Frazier around that time, he'd also play some NFL football.

Then in 1987 Paul Emordi would jump...27 3/4, Vernon George would jump 27 1/2 (also hurdle 13.49) and Chris Walker would leap 26-9 3/4. As far as I know (without research) no school has had three guys combine for more distance in a season. Yes that's the answer to my trivia question. If you grab your July 1987 T&FN there they are on page 37. All listed in the top 7 in the USA. Which brings up...has any school ever had 3 of the top 7 ranked long jumpers in the USA. Now I know what you're thinking....Emordi USA? Not real sure what the deal was here. I see Chidi Imoh, Moses Ugbisie, Victor Ednet and others listed so...?

Has any school had three jumpers combined for more than..80-10...in the same season?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just tossing this out...

Keep an eye on sprinter Calesio Newman at NCA&T.

The in-season U.S. lists included resident foreigners back then.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
      The in-season U.S. lists included resident foreigners back then.
      Never really thought about it until right now. I first thought US Colleges then I noticed some clubbers there. Thanks

Comment

Ralph Alpaugh (actually Alspaugh) was a paleface, who attended Texas, not Texas Southern (maybe you meant George Aldredge)

Comment

Originally posted by rhymans
          Ralph Alpaugh (actually Alspaugh) was a paleface, who attended Texas, not Texas Southern (maybe you meant George Aldredge)
          I was actually talking about Ralph Aldredge who came right after Bush. Yep..got them mixed up..duh!

Comment

Originally posted by rhymans
            you beat me to it rh, on this correction !

Comment

This really isn't about Aldredge or....

Can any school beat 80-10?

Comment

Working...
              X