Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I clearly screwed up by taking last week in Central America boogie boarding when I could have flown LAX to Melbourne on Quantas for $705 roundtrip instead. Next year !!!!

Comment

hi everyone.....

a fantastic site and a great thread!

As an Aussie masters athlete I know that our national champs are depleted because of the numbers of older pros who compete at Stawell at easter time.
      The nats occur on the same easter weekend in one of the state capital cities.
      Shame really, because some of these guys (eg Greg O'keefe, 47 yo and 11.5/100 or so) would certainly raise the standard of results.

The Stawell race carnival certainly draws a huge crowd that standard T&F comps can't dream of matching and for a number of reasons.

The "bet" makes for a fun element, but it's the close proximity of folk to the competitors at this venue, the idea of local groups from all over Australia coming to see their hometown hero and the general human interest part of the equation that make it so spectacular.
      And the fact that people go there to see friends they catch up with only once a year for a three day celebration also carries a lot of weight.
      I can't see it ever waning in popularity.

As an aside, I've trained with Reg Austin for some yearsand can vouch for the toughness of these pro athletes.

Reg did 400m in 50 secs at 50 years of age... quality and longevity

Comment

Working...
      X