Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monday QUOTE

Who said: "I've always felt that long, slow distance produces long, slow runners,"?
    1) John Drummond
    2) Paavo Nurmi
    3) Bill Clinton
    4) Percy Cerutty
    5) Your own answer

Re: monday QUOTE

my initial answer is that it is not 1,2,3,or 4.

Comment

I think the answer is W, our running fearless leader, who is always racing full bore into things he doesn't do well at, i.e., monetary policy, Iraq, press conferences...

Comment

A flat out guess at Hungary's and then Santa Clara Youth Village's Mihali (sp?) Igloi since he was a great exponent of intervals ( "fartlek" ).

Comment

Comment

My guess is Paavo Nurmi. I remember reading somewhere his view that a robust amount of speed work was necessary for a distance runner.

Comment

If you Google the quote, you'll find that Coe is most often cited as the source. But I have a nagging feeling that I'd heard that quote before I ever heard of Coe. I just don't remember when it was first said and by whom, if anyone.

To be fair to Seb, the citations don't state or necessarily imply that he was the first person ever to say it--just that he felt it was true.

Comment

Not that I think he originated the quote, but I first heard it attributed to Brooks Johnson.

Comment

ACCORDING to my secret Satch sources, it indeed was the best of all BRIT tracksters, SEB COE.

Comment

Working...
                  X