X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T&F movies

I've found this interesting site:

http://www.runningmovies.com/feature.htm

D'you know any interesting T&F movie aside Chariots of Fire?

Re: T&F movies

Interesting list, but beware: there are some colossal turkeys here, such as "Running" (1979) with Michael Douglas. This was bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. Avoid like the bubonic plague.

Does anyone out there know if the 1925 film "Nine and Three-Fifths Seconds" is on video or available in any form?

Comment

Cool list, Diego... I have not seen a lot of these, never heard of several. I'm confident that Gallipoli is the best of the lot. It is one of the best films ever made. Search this site for numerous threads @ Jericho Mile (it sucks) and others.

Comment

the CAMPUS FLIRT sounds gnarly, but since its 1926 Flirtisha probably doesn't shed her bloomers . stars STELLA WALSH for you CRYING GAME fans!

Comment

A good site. Thanks. But no 'Visions of Eight' or 'Tokyo Olympiad'?? Wish I could order those through a local video store (no luck). Could buy them on internet, probably, but too lazy(and would never give c.c.#) With all the crap videos in 'bargain bins' everywhere, you'd think that real classics like those might be available somehow, somewhere.

Comment

"Personal Best" (women's pentathlon) starring Mariel Hemingway and real-life track stars Patrice Donnelly and Kenny Moore;

Walk Don't Run (Race-Walking) starring Cary Grant.

Comment

"As fast as a leopard"

"I don't run to take beatings !

" Is it safe " ?

Comment

>Search this site for numerous threads @ Jericho Mile (it sucks) and
                >others.

I disagree but maybe you have to be a runner to like it. Worth watching just for the Stones' track. Here are the other threads:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... sage=23339

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... sage=31463

Comment

I agree with Kuha that 9 3/5 seconds would be interesting to see.

As for a training idea: The Naked Prey could be updated using Webb and Ritz cast in the Cornel Wilde part with the Ethiopians and Kenyans running behind throwing spears every so often. I sure it would be a great training motivator.

Comment

>A good site. Thanks. But no 'Visions of Eight' or 'Tokyo Olympiad'?? Wish I
                    >could order those through a local video store (no luck). Could buy them on
                    >internet, probably, but too lazy(and would never give c.c.#) With all the crap
                    >videos in 'bargain bins' everywhere, you'd think that real classics like those
                    >might be available somehow, somewhere.>>

You can get "Tokyo Orimpikku" from Amazon in either DVD ($35.96) or VHS ($49.95) format. No "Visions of Eight" however. Any fears about using credit card here, in my extensive experience, are completely unfounded.

Comment

I might have mentioned this one on another thread but the documentary "Fists Of Freedom" is excellent. It is about the 1968 Olympics and focuses on the black track and field athletes and the social dramas which were being played out during that time period. A lot of Harry Edwards/Carlos/Smith footage brings back the memories. See http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0275353/combined for a list of featured athletes and more information.

bob

Comment

Wee Geordie -- a wonderful movie.

Comment

Gh is right that Tokyo Olympiad is available on DVD. Criterion recently put out a great looking version of it with an interesting commentary by a British Sports Historian (not a track guy).

Comment

I agree. Fists of Freedom was a great documentary. I definitely recommend it although you might lose respect for Brent Musburger after you see it (if you have any for him at all).

The '68 Olympics was so special both historically and athletically. The political tension, the records, the personal stories. Incredible. Dare I say a golden age of track and field?

For years my brother and I had hoped someone would make a drama about these games. Of course, it would probably pale in comparison to the doc. After all, Will Smith was pretty good in Ali but only Ali can play himself as was evident in When We Were Kings.

Comment

I said it once and I'll say it again, The World's Greatest Athlete is the finest track film ever to grace the local cinema.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070928/

With a stellar cast of Jan Michael Vincent, John Amos, & Tim Conway how can you go wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X