>>By the way, how come GH hasn't mentioned Valerie
    >Perrine in this discussion? >>

I see you remember this thread

http://trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/discus ... sage=27747

Leave a comment:

• hijumpsteve
    replied
    Re: T&F movies

methinks satch was making a joke about Stella being in this flick ?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

"Has anyone here seen the Bruce Dern film about the Dipsea race, "On The Edge"?"

I saw it when it first came out. It is not a bad movie as Bruce Dern is a real runner, though the ending was dumb with everyone holding hands crossing the finishing line. Sort of like Shorter and Bachelor, but on a massive scale. Also there is a very fit Garry Bjorklund, who is in on the hand-holding. Oh, well.

By the way, how come GH hasn't mentioned Valerie Perrine in this discussion? Of course, she wasn't an athlete but she was in that awful Village People movie with Bruce Jenner, which the TandFnews folk seemed to be enthralled with.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

No Stella listed in the credits, but note that Charley Paddock plays himself

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016705/fullcredits

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

Satch wrote:

>the CAMPUS FLIRT sounds gnarly, but since its 1926 Flirtisha probably doesn't
    >shed her bloomers . stars STELLA WALSH for you CRYING GAME fans!
    =========
    Something's not right here. Walsh's first appearance at U.S. nationals was in 1928, when she was still a teenager. She was 15 at the most in 1926.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied

Has anyone here seen the Bruce Dern film about the Dipsea race, "On The Edge"? It is described at http://www.runningmovies.com/o.htm#On%20the%20Edge.

I've always liked Bruce Dern and am intrigued by this one.

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied

<All too often, these Hollywood versions simply taint our memory of the real thing.>

How right you are! Of the Olympic documentaries I've seen, the one that stands out for me was Rome with Mexico City the close second.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Duncan
    replied

>There's no where you can buy Fists of Freedom, correct?
    I found it on television a few years ago and got a copy with the VCR. Before my original post, I looked at amazon.com and didn't find it. You might try some searches on the Internet.

My poster of Carlos and Smith on the victory stand adorns the wall of my home office!

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Novian: Don't wish for a "drama" about ANY major athletic event. It's FAR FAR better to watch documentary footage of the actual event. That's the real thing, after all, not some maudlin, tarted-up, simple-minded Hollywood bastardization. All too often, these Hollywood versions simply taint our memory of the real thing. (For example: Billy Mills' achievement is NOT equivalent to "Running Brave.")

Leave a comment:

• Diego Sahagún
    replied

LOL

Leave a comment:

• trackhead
    replied

There's no where you can buy Fists of Freedom, correct?

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied

I said it once and I'll say it again, The World's Greatest Athlete is the finest track film ever to grace the local cinema.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070928/

With a stellar cast of Jan Michael Vincent, John Amos, & Tim Conway how can you go wrong?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I agree. Fists of Freedom was a great documentary. I definitely recommend it although you might lose respect for Brent Musburger after you see it (if you have any for him at all).

The '68 Olympics was so special both historically and athletically. The political tension, the records, the personal stories. Incredible. Dare I say a golden age of track and field?

For years my brother and I had hoped someone would make a drama about these games. Of course, it would probably pale in comparison to the doc. After all, Will Smith was pretty good in Ali but only Ali can play himself as was evident in When We Were Kings.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied

Gh is right that Tokyo Olympiad is available on DVD. Criterion recently put out a great looking version of it with an interesting commentary by a British Sports Historian (not a track guy).

Leave a comment:

• billthedog
    replied

Wee Geordie -- a wonderful movie.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X