Pole Vault trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pole Vault trivia

In a 9 year period a while back, 4 Pole Vaulters who attended this univerisity set w-rec in the PV.
    Name the school and the vaulters.

Re: Pole Vault trivia

My guess is USC. Right now can only think of Paul Wilson and Bob Seagran

Comment

USC, but A WHILE back...? 1928-37?(Ward Edmunds,Lee Barnes, Bill Graber,Bill Sefton, and Earle Meadows? FIVE?) (I peeked in my own[self-authored] stat book, here next to computer)

Comment

I was thinking of the Seagren-Wilson era but of course, it was equally impressive in the Barnes-Meadows era. However, they needed 10 years and did Edmunds hold the w-rec?

Comment

And, anyway, Ward Edmonds (correct spelling) went to Stanford.

Comment

Edmonds as WR holder is an interesting anomaly (facts from Richard Hymans' great IAAF WR Progression book).

Sabin Carr vaulted 14-0 in 1927 at the IC4A, which as a conversion to 4.2672 was ratified (properly) as 4.26. The next year at the West Coast Relays in Fresno, Barnes vaulted 14-0 to tie the mark, and then Edmonds did the same. Then Barnes jumped 14-1 [bar was supposed to be at 14-1 3/4] to get mark ratified at 4.30.

In those days, it was common for en route marks not to get ratified, so don't know if Edmonds was ever credited as official WR holder. His case as such was negated anyway, becuase in 1945 ("inexplicably" says Hymans) the IAAF changed the Carr conversion to 4.27, meaning that the 4.26s weren't ever records.

Ain't our sport a joy to try to follow?

Comment

I agree with OV, it can't be USC or anybody else.... perhaps you are including indoor wr's? Everybody and his brother were setting those back in early 60's but I am not going to rack my brain on it.

Comment

Did Wolfgang Nordwig go to the University of Southern Chemnitz?

Comment

I might have dug myself into a hole here.
                  However, I did not mean that they necessarily attended USC when they set w-recs. So then, did not Kjell Isaksson attend Usc?.
                  Just for some seconds when I wrote it I was thinking of Seagren and Pennel as teammates and I was thinking Striders instead of USC.
                  Take me out and shoot me!

Comment

Pennel was Northeast Louisiana; Isaksson may have wandered over here with thoughts of attending a US school but far as I knew he never did.

Comment

Per I for one certainly forgive yopu. I've made a few mistakes posting trivia ??'s myself.

Comment

I'll live to post another day! Good thing I did not bring up Hans Lagerqvist!!

Comment

Isaksson actually enrolled at USC in February, 1971 (per LA Times Feb. 13, 1971) but was ruled ineligible to compete for the Trojans late March (per LA Times March 24, 1971). He was listed as from USC in a couple of indoor meets but did not compete outdoors for them. Not sure how long he stayed in school after being ruled ineligible.

Comment

All I know about Isaksson is I heard the announcement that he set a PV WR at Texas Relays as I was 40 m away working my first Texas Relays as a LJ official, too busy to watch PV..
                            I had taken my son and his HS track team buddies to the Relays, saw they needed help in the LJ and, in those more informal days, jumped in ... I have officiated every Texas Relay since.
                            Last edited by lonewolf; 06-19-2018, 04:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen View Post
                              I might have dug myself into a hole here.
                              However, I did not mean that they necessarily attended USC when they set w-recs. So then, did not Kjell Isaksson attend Usc?.
                              Just for some seconds when I wrote it I was thinking of Seagren and Pennel as teammates and I was thinking Striders instead of USC.
                              Take me out and shoot me!
                              Hardly a problem - fun question. We'll pick a member of the board who has never made a mistake to shoot you. Still looking

Comment

Working...
                              X