Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Line up with most WR-holders....

The 3000m race from Crystal Palace in July 1982 did include five world record breakers (Moorcroft, Walker, Ovett, Maree, P. Koech) who in the past and the future held records over 1500m, 1 Mile, 2000m, 2 Miles, 5000m and the Steeple. Only the 3000m record is missing; Henry Ronos best record lastet until 1989...
    And the first three in this race all set area (continental) records...and this in the "missing" world record event.

Leave a comment:

• billthedog
    replied

I meant to ask whether they were related. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• hj197steve
    replied

and Art is Bob's older brother.

Leave a comment:

• billthedog
    replied

I thought for a moment I had verified Berkeley's exceedly astute surmise. From TFN's summary of the 1964 AAU pv: 1. Fred Hansen 17, 2. Dave Tork 16-8, . . . 5 John Pennel 16-4 1/2, . . . 15 (tie) [John] Uelses 15. NH . . . [Paul] Wilson . . . Seagren. But "Seagren" apparently is Art Seagren of the US Army, not Bob Seagren, then graduating from Pomona High School.

Leave a comment:

• berkeley
    replied

This thread is a little stale, but I'm sure that 5 can be improved upon significantly. My T&FNs don't go back far enough, but I'm sure, given the concentration of American PV WR holders in the '60s (9 in all), a Nationals in one of those years, or perhaps the 64 OT, should have more than 5. Sufficiently detailed Web resources covering the period are thin. Can anyone confirm my guess ?

Leave a comment:

• Mel
    replied

"All the sixes and sevens include wr holders at other events."

That's right so 5 is still the best. Nobody has produced evidence of a race with better than 5 record setters in THAT event all lined up together.

Leave a comment:

• billthedog
    replied

All the sixes and sevens include wr holders at other events. So five is still pretty good, and I'll go back to the 1936 OT high jump: Marty, Johnson, Albritton and Walker. Steers apparently didn't compete, but a man named Ed Burke did, and he was a high jump world record holder indoors. At least that is five in the same event.
    And how about largest proportion of finalists who held world records? I'll start with the 1948 Olympic 100m: 5 out of 6, 83.3 %. Ewell, LaBeach and McDonald Bailey all equal 10.2, Patton 9.3, and Dillard in the high and low hurdles of course.

Leave a comment:

• Alan Sigmon
    replied

We have a 7 ... twice, and 6!

First, the 1956 Olympic 5000 meters:
    1st. Vladimir Kuts (WR at 5000 & 10,000
    2nd. Gordon Pirie (WR at 3000 & 5000)
    3rd. Derek Ibbotson (WR Mile)
    5th. Albert Thomas (WR 2 Miles, 1958)
    6th. László Tábori (WR 1500)
    9th. Pyotor Bolotnokov (WR 10,000)
    11th. Chris Chataway (WR 5000)

Then, the 1964 Olympic 10,000 meters:
    1st. Billy Mills (WR 6 Miles)
    3rd. Ron Clarke (WRs 2 Miles through One Hour)
    7th. Murray Halberg (WR 2 Miles, 3 Miles)
    9th. Gerry Lindgren (WR 6 Miles)
    11th. Siegfried Herrmann (WR 3000)
    18th. Ron Hill (WR 10 Miles)
    25th. Pyotor Bolotnikov (WR 10,000)

Thrown in for good measure are two future Olympic gold medalists: Mamo Wolde and Naftali Temu.

And for what it's worth, the 1964 Olympic 5000m is a 6:
    1st. Bob Schul (WR 2 Miles)
    2nd. Harald Norpoth (WR 2000m)
    4th. Michel Jazy (WR Mile, 2000m, 3000m, 2 Miles)
    5th. Kip Keino (WR 3000m, 5000m)
    6th. Bill Baillie (WR 20,000m, One Hour)
    9th. Ron Clarke (WR 2 Miles to One Hour)

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Ah hah! All I can say is that I wanna be like MJD.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied

>I would bet that at least a few World X-C races would result in a nice
    >tally....

See Sunday, Apr 4, 2004 at 10:22 AM above and the one above that.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

I would bet that at least a few World X-C races would result in a nice tally....

Leave a comment:

• Mel
    replied

Another approach would be to count all the world records brought to the starting line or start of a field event. for example Montreal women 100: Stecher had scored several times at 100 because she had a bunch of hand records ratified, plus her 11.07, and her 2 200 records 22.40 and 22.38. And so on, Ashford 2, Gohr 2, Richter and Helten 1 each. And if Boyle had run 0.01 faster in Munich she'd have been given a share of the tie that Stecher got - just a trivial observation. Anyway personally I think hand times should be left out of it as they obviously are approximate times and skew the results.

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied

>Jon may we throw in indoor records too? Or how about indoor races with outdoor
    >record holders? Or maybe we don't ask u just do it

Umm... yeh - why not! I just want to see a 6!!!

Leave a comment:

• berkeley
    replied

If it hadn't been
    >for the Cuban boycott, the addition of Sotoymayor would have made it six!

Well ... if you start counting but-for-the-boycott cases, '84 could well have included Paklin, Wszola and Povarnitsyn (though the latter is unlikely, with at least 6 Soviets ahead of him on the world list that year).

Leave a comment:

• Mel
    replied

Jon may we throw in indoor records too? Or how about indoor races with outdoor record holders? Or maybe we don't ask u just do it

Leave a comment:

Working...
X