Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what if we'd had Twitter in the old days?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what if we'd had Twitter in the old days?

great piece (even though it doesn't have any track people) in the LA Times on what stars of the past might have Tweeted:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-ers ... umn?page=1

The door is now open for track submissions. Allow me to start by cherry-picking off the top--

Ben Johnson: What do you mean it burned right through the bottom of the jar?

Re: what if we'd had Twitter in the old days?

Bob Beamon: that jump looked pretty good. What's 8.90?

Comment

Abebe Bikila: Ow, ow, ow...

Comment

Frank Shorter in Munich: Why is no one cheering?

Would have looked something like this, minus at least 50 pounds: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pictureprefect/4046914923/
        "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

"Going to take a nap now. Tired" - Jesse Owens, 5/25/35

"I have no idea what just happened. I was just along for the ride." George Davies, 5/20/61

"Damnedest thing I ever saw. Dude went over backward." - Oregon State student, 4/19/68

"No, I ain't been drinking nothing. I just saw Houston run a 9.6 100 yards in PE." Baker Jr. HIgh student, 3/16/70

Comment

W?adys?aw Kozakiewicz: Take that Russia!!

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
              Apropos, when did he make that famous gesture to the Soviet crowd, after the winning jump or the WR jump? I'm trying to creat a wiki entry in my language and be as accurate as possible while doing so, but then I just found that among the existing versions whose languages I'm able to read, there's this interesting disparity: the English and Portuguese pages say that he did it after securing the win with 5.70m, while the German and Japanese state it was not until he broke the WR by his 5.78m jump...

Well, thanks for your help in advance! I'm looking for the accounts of you eye-witnesses :wink:

Comment

Paavo Nurmi: Goddamn French. 30 minutes? I'll show them!

Comment

Originally posted by Vielleicht
                  Originally posted by polevaultpower
                  Apropos, when did he make that famous gesture to the Soviet crowd, after the winning jump or the WR jump? I'm trying to creat a wiki entry in my language and be as accurate as possible while doing so, but then I just found that among the existing versions whose languages I'm able to read, there's this interesting disparity: the English and Portuguese pages say that he did it after securing the win with 5.70m, while the German and Japanese state it was not until he broke the WR by his 5.78m jump...

Well, thanks for your help in advance! I'm looking for the accounts of you eye-witnesses :wink:
                  The T&FN account (written by the unlikely-ever-to-be-wrong Cordner Nelson) states quite clearly that it was at 5.75 (that was the height needed to win, not 5.70).

The picture in the magazine is captioned "Kozakiewicz showed Moscow's animals precisely what he thought of them."

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    The T&FN account (written by the unlikely-ever-to-be-wrong Cordner Nelson) states quite clearly that it was at 5.75 (that was the height needed to win, not 5.70).

The picture in the magazine is captioned "Kozakiewicz showed Moscow's animals precisely what he thought of them."
                    Thanks a bunch Mr. Hill! I feel really grateful that now I have a citation to quote from. But why was 5.75 the height needed to win? Both Slusarski and Volkov failed to clear 5.70.

Comment

Volkov only jumped twice at 570, leaving one attempt at 575. Still, saying 575 was "needed to win" is a bit misleading.

Comment

1988 Trials

FloJo: 10.49 and legal!!

EAshford: Twitpic of papers, cans, hats, iPhones flying down the straight.

Comment

Originally posted by Vault-emort
                          1988 Trials

FloJo: 10.49 and legal!!

EAshford: Twitpic of papers, cans, hats, iPhones flying down the straight.
                          Well looking back to Torrence and Gohr's comments at that time, they sound more 'appropriate' as tweets!

Torrence: something along the lines of "being a woman, I dont know how she can run that fast"

Gohr: she must have had rockets on her feet. Only a man can run that fast.

Comment

Stones, 1973: "I told you I'd be back, Munich".
                            Stones, 1976" "Jacek who?".
                            Stones, 1977: "All that remains is for me to jump 2.34 as soon as possible".
                            Stones, 1984: "I didn't say how soon!".

Comment

from an e-mailer who wished to remain anonymous:

StellaWalsh32: Sporting wood on the medal stand. L.A. ROCKS!

Comment

Working...
                              X