Clear All

• That book about Jamaican sprint...

..prowess got me thinking about...

Les Laing
    George Rhoden
    Arhur Wint
    Herb McKenley
    Dennis Johnson

....all held sprint World Records. One year Rhoden, McKenley and Wint were the top three ranked 400m men in the world. I wonder what the population of Jamaica was in the early 50's? Hard to believe an island could have the top three anythings in the world. As we all know in 1952 the team of those three stud 400m men and 200m man Les Laing smashed the 4x4 WR An island whipping up on the USA in a 4x4?

If we took those born in Jamaica it really is amazing. What country compares to...

All those mentioned above
    Ben Johnson
    Ray Stewart
    Lennox Miller
    Don Quarrie
    Bert Cameron
    Linford Christie
    Donovan Bailey
    Nesta Carter
    Yohan Blake
    Michael Frater
    Asafa Powell
    Usain Bolt
    A slew of 44 types in the 400m.

We have three Olympic 100m Champs since 1992. We have six (sorry Ben) sub 9.90 guys. We have the current 100/200/4x1 WR holders. That's pretty impressive. Then there's Olympic 200m champ Don Quarrie and Lennox "Siver & Bronze" Miller. Bert Cameron!

It really is amazing what we've seen coming out of Jamaica when it comes to sprinting.

Then there's Trinidad, that's also had a rich sprint tradition. I do doubt we'll be seeing a book about it however. E. McDonald Bailey and George "WR" Lewis were the first notable Trini's. Mike Agostini was one of the world's top sprinters in the 50's. Edwin Roberts was winning Olympic bronze in the 60's.Wendell Mottley, Hasley Crawford, Ato Boldon and Richard Thompson all made their mark in sprintdom history.

A lot of great sprinters there for a couple islands.

If we look at Jamaica/Trinidad and the NCAA, these schools had islanders as their greatest sprinter..

Eastern Michigan...Hasley Crawford
    TCU...Ray Stewart (Kim Collins?)
    USC...Don Quarrie
    UCLA...Ato Boldon over Mike Marsh?
    Fresno State...Mike Agostini
    LSU...Richard Thompson
    Yale..Wendell Mottley
    Morgan State...George Rhoden over Art Bragg?
    Illinois...Herb McKenley

Re: That book about Jamaican sprint...

Which book are you talking about?

Is it Robinson's 'Jamaican Athletics: A Model for 2012 and the World'?

Yes, that group of quartermilers to emerge after the Second World War was something else, wasn't it?
    My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Re: That book about Jamaican sprint...

Originally posted by shivfan
      Which book are you talking about?

Is it Robinson's 'Jamaican Athletics: A Model for 2012 and the World'?

Yes, that group of quartermilers to emerge after the Second World War was something else, wasn't it?
      I'm really not sure. Any talk of any book on Jamaican sprinting is going to send me off into where I went there.

Comment

Working...
      X