Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high jumper

Does anyone have a bio on Franklin Jacobs? Competed about 20 years ago.

Re: high jumper

One place to start might be the website for his school, Fairleigh Dickinson.

Comment

http://www.fdu.edu/newspubs/magazine/99su/jacobs.html

Comment

I last jumped against Franklin in the late 80's. At the time he was a sales rep for a beer distributor in Paterson, New Jersey. Have lost track of him since then as I am now in New Zealand.

Comment

Ed.! Maybe you should change your first name to "Silver"!

Comment

>I last jumped against Franklin in the late 80's. At the time he was a sales
            >rep for a beer distributor in Paterson, New Jersey. Have lost track of him
            >since then as I am now in New Zealand.

Ed I remember your name but forget where you went to school ?

Comment

EF - I have your Flight School book! I'm the guy with the 6'2 girl with a 24" vertical (top rebounder on the bball team - good hurdler - 36' TJer), who HJs 5'. Any advice? She's scared of the bar. We jump at bungees and she's fine. Put a bar 6" under the bungee and she won't jump.

Comment

Ed, maybe that's where I remember your name from, the book rather than as a competitor. Let me know your school anyway so I can see if it rings any bells.

Comment

Richard,
                  There was a interview about him in hte May '78 edition of T&FN.
                  I could fax it to you

Comment

Tafnut, here is some advice: Give up ! Let the girl triple jump and reroute the time she spends high jumping to some non-impact TJ technique work. Seems to me that she has that peculiar female high jump affliction that causes girls to take 27 false start run-throughs before jumping... it is some sort of cross-bar phobia that very few guys have, but, in my experience, is incurable with females! If you somehow cure her, please let me know how :-)

Comment

We stayed for two hours after practice until she jumped at a 5' bar (made it by 4 inches). I'm not sure that changed anything except prove that we're both very stubborn people.

Comment

tape single edged razor blades along the top of a practice bar. Teach her to be tough !!

Comment

In response to Steve and tafnut. I went to Clemson, class of '76. Living and coaching in New Zealand now. To Class Clown, my wife tried to slide naming our daughter "Silver" past me but it didn't fly. To me Silver is a horse and I wasn't ready to hear any quips about anyone riding Silver. I do have a son named Zinzan though. And I HAVE NEVER had to spell my last name to people so often since I moved to the country where the Silver Fern is the national emblem.

To the guy with the 6'2" girl who won't jump. When she's ready she'll get over it. I agree with the advice to let her spend constructive time on the other events, rather than destructive time on the High Jump. I had a girl down here last year stand in front of a bar at one meter and refuse to do a one step scissor over it. It was the worst half hour of my life trying to get her to go ever it. She was 12 and getting ready for a provincial meet down here. Her father and I decided it wasn't worth the stress, so she is concentrating on the 200/400. Dad is 6'7" and she is all legs and has hops. But she's doing great in the other stuff and is smiling all the time. So that's my new tactic. Find something else that they can do well in and leave the high jump alone. 36' is right about 11m which isn't bad, but how old is she? Let me know.
                          Cheers

Comment

Do you have relative named ART Fern of J.Carson fame? Satch.

Comment

Harhar That's old, very old. Always did want to know where he got the name. Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X